Thread: Hyperthreading - on or off

Hyperthreading - on or off

I have a i7 920. It has four physical cores in addition to Hyperthreading (which the motherboard is turned on as default).

PC is used mostly for gaming as well as conversion of audio from FLAC to MP3, etc.

What I wonder about Hyperthreading is: if a game supports multiple cores, how does the allocation of cores?

In Windows (I run XP x64) you will see 8 cores in Task Manager. If a game can do to utilize two cores, how to avoid that the two cores that are not one and the same physical core?

Are best served by having to turn off Hyperthreading? Or there is a form of intelligence in either game, OS or CPU which ensures that the wires separated over physical cores?

Re: Hyperthreading - on or off

Watches you can achieve a higher score/lower temp with Hyperthreading off. Watches for the small items not more than 3.6 so you should have Hyperthreading on.

You may want to run the benchmarks with the on/off and even see the difference with your setup.

Operating system sees a difference in the Hyperthreading and a second core so here prefer the extra core front Hyperthreading.

The latter also works poorly in the game, due to the way the data is running, in applications where heavy risk that the wrong data comes in so Hyperthreading can help by reducing the time for readjustment.

Just like a belt in which a work will turn up a car. Coming into the wrong parts on a band saw Hyperthreading allows the worker to see the belt as the No. 2 most likely is correct when it was the wrong exit and get into the right again.

Is there some kind of evidence that scheduleren in XP (x64) actually see the difference on a Hyperthreading-core and a physical core?

Operating system's Kernel sees difference and that is what matters. Just like that the OS knows that if you run RAID on an Intel chipset so ICHx know that it is not a true RAID because of this that it behaves differently.