Thread: Help me buid new system

infowarsdotcom Guest

Help me buid new system

I want to build a new system. What should i check for compatibility between the mobo, processor, RAM.(like their speed, FSB, etc).

Re: Help me buid new system

you can check on respective manufacture sites for compatibility between the mobo, processor for RAM compatibility you need to read motherboard specification. Important and main thing is mobo and processor, ram can be choose accordingly

The easiest and best source of information (if you know what you're looking at) is manufacturer websites. If you do not understand all the technobabble, then giving the manufacturer of the motherboard (if known) and the model number of the motherboard (a number that is silkscreened onto the top of the board) to a techie you know will allow him to get the answers you seek.

Now CPUs get more complicated. If your motherboard is based on the Intel architecture, then there are two primary types of sockets: Socket 478 and Socket 775 (also known as Socket T). The difference between them is that Socket 478 is a socket that has lots of holes for pins to sink into. Socket 775/T has the pins on the motherboard and the processor is smooth on the bottom. Thus, in the Intel world, it is easy to tell which type of socket you need. The problem then becomes which chipset you have on the motherboard (which is answered by looking up the specifications of the motherboard) and discovering what chips and chip speeds are supported.

That's one way of doing it, checking respective manufacture sites or you can just go to Newegg and there you'll see the complete list.