Thread: Processor is not compatible with motherboard under Windows 7

Processor is not compatible with motherboard under Windows 7

I just spent the whole weekend to install new hardware for my little brother (Processor, Motherboard, Graphics card, Ram) without success ...
    Processor: E5200
    Motherboard: Asus P5KPL 1600
    Graphics card: Gainward 4850 GS
    Ram: 2x2 GB DDR2 800 G skill

I had problems with crashes (freezes the pc). So I format and reinstall XP, but most programs do not run or are stuck to the PC. So I try the Beta version of Windows 7 and at the end of the installation, the same, the pc freezes.

Someone commented on the compatibility of components. So I tested, and found that the processor is not compatible with this motherboard when it is supposed to support Core 2 Duo.

The big question that I try to solve is: what is the problem comes from? If yes, an updated bios will solve the problem? Or should I change the motherboard?

Re: Processor is not compatible with motherboard under Windows 7

It is the base of the config that have already been mounted, in case of any actual case of compatibility or incompatibility. Your problem probably does not if the bios of the motherboard is updated.

How can I see if my bios is up to date? I have really a zero knowledge in bios question.

To find out, you boot the bios by pressing the appropriate key to boot your machine, it must be stated in the manual of your motherboard (usually is one of the keys from F1 to F12, for example I think it's F2).

You will have noted the version of your bios normally. I see on the Asus website that the latest is version 0512, dated March 26. You can go to the download page of Asus. On the same page there is a link "How to update your BIOS?" just in case.

Ok, thank you.

I have the 0317 version is the first. They warned me against installing the latest bios. I've never done this, it is risky?

Moreover, in the bios, the CPU is well recognized. That means it is compatible with this motherboard? The problem comes from the other? Should I still change the bios or it will not help?

to update the bios, you need to download the new bios and use the flash utility that they will provide.

do not let the power be interrupted.
    do not be impatient.
    once it starts, you can not stop it
    BACK UP YOUR BIOS FIRST!

If you fail, you would have to remove the bios chip and insert into a cmos programmer of sorts so please read the above as you are likely not in possession of a reprogrammer and will not want to desolder the bios chip.

if you follow the directions on the program, you will need to download the bios update program that is a stand alone as you do not have access to the operating system... you could try to install linux to update the bios chip then clean the hard drive and install windows... linux is more forgiving.

a live version of an operating system might be a better choice but it is not guaranteed.

My best suggestion is to insert a processor to the mobo that works then upgrade the bios then turn off and replace with the new processor... the bios is not dependent on the processor but the processor is dependent in the mobo and the bios is on the mobo

I work in a hardware store I've built a few computers with this mobo and CPU, everything works perfectly with original bios so you should try to change your memory might be incompatible, or graphic card, and check your coolers some of components might be overheating.

I think you should be able to use this your motherboard because nowadays every processor and motherboard are Windows 7 compatible but when you are trying to install Windows 7 as you operating system then you should have it minimum requirements like minimum 1gb RAM and at the same time it should also have 256mb graphic card too.