Thread: Symptoms of fried CPU

idea Symptoms of fried CPU

Hello Friends,

I'm having Pentium 4 with 2.66GHz. I would like to know that how can i know whether my CPU is fried or not. I means to say that what are the symptoms which tells you about the fired CPU. Does any body have any idea about it? Kindly let me know your views on the above issue.

Thanks in advance

Re: Symptoms of fried CPU

Hey man there is a deadly difference for the cpu type to be placed in a SLOT-A instead of a SLOT-1, the SLOT-A is only for AMD-K7 and derivates, SLOT-1 is only for PII-PIII and Celerons. So if your motherboard was for SLOT-A for AMD cpus, then you burn it. But even like that, should not have even boot. Just smoke coming out. You see the SLOT-A is totally reversed from the SLOT-1 and the electrical connections are different.

remounted the board, making sure all the risers were in and the board was sitting properly, and when I turned it on this time, it did even less. Now it just blinks once and shuts right down. It won't even turn on again unless I pull the power cord out of the power supply and put it back in. I'll get a volt meter and see if it's the problem.

I don't think you're CPU is the problem as you would know it from you're Mother board and probably wouldn't be getting anything (could be wrong). Either way there are three major things that can kill a CPU.
    1) Improper installation, for instance improperly seated, bent pins, lever not shut.
    2) The real killer, over heating, though you most certainly would have head beeping indicating you're CPU was frying if the cooler isn't seated properly and no thermal paste was used or it wasn't connected to the Mother board via the system fan connector or something similar sounding (not saying you didn't do this just sometimes it happens to people).
    3) ESD, Electric Static Discharge, you'll know it as you'll see the static and hear a little crack, that would definitely be bad.

You ask if your CPU is fried. Possibly. at 70 degrees Celcius, you run a huge risk of meltdown. Some CPU's can take this heat (like the pentium overdrive, the 486 any speed, or the original P-II .35 micron 2.8 volt space heater CPU) so 70 degrees dosen't necessairialy mean death, because silicon can take it, but it aint good either.