Thread: Display problem after installing RAM

Display problem after installing RAM

Hello,
    I just installed 2GB of RAM on my + packard Bell total: 3GB, my problem is that it became unstable when I use Aero, or while gaming! There are a lot of weird stuff like that appears when I move the Firefox window, the taskbar flashes then goes black. For me the problem is with the RAM, how to solve? I began to update the BIOS, installed the latest drivers from NVIDIA, or the least I had the problem (and yet) is when I used the microsoft driver. My graphics card is a GeForce 7200 LE ... What should I do? I also heard about the need to adjust something on the card when changing / adding RAM.

My stick 1 is: 1GB 553MHZ
    My stick 2 is: 2GB 667MHZ

Thank you for your help!
    "Freely you have received, freely give." -- Jesus Christ

Re: Display problem after installing RAM

What is the model of your Packard Bell? If you strip away the 1GB and in its place you put the 2GB, you have the same problems?

Try clearing the CMOS in case it got scrambled. There should be a jumper on the motherboard to do that, if there isn't or you can't find it then pulling the motherboard battery out for a few minutes will achieve the same result.

This little guide is to let people know some of the differances in computer DDR memory.

There are many differant type and makers of computer memory modules. Many of the manufactures of these memory modules use the same chips that are found on their compatitions modules, therefore name brand modules are not of much more quality than that of lesser known compaines, which means you can have a name brand and a generic brand in the same computer without any problems.

Even if a memory chip is compatible with your system doesn't mean it will always work. If you get one that doesn't work in you system, it may still work in another.

If you are looking for DDR memory (Double Data Rate) here are some things to remember.

1. Make sure that you are getting it with the right pin count.

2. DDR and DDR2 are not interchangeable. (for a desktop pc: DDR has 184 pins and DDR2 has 240 pins)

3. DDR-400 for example will only have a frequency of 200 not 400 if your system is not set up properly, most systems require you to have 2 modules in before your system will operate at DDR. Your system will not operate DDR with 1 or 3 modules in it. Because of this limitation it is better if you have 2 or 4 DDR modules in your system instead of one. For example 2 256MB modules will run faster than 1 512MB module

4. A 256MB PC-3200 DDR-400 184-pin Module for a PC is the same as the one for an iMac.

5. The Intel 875P, 865G, and 865PE chipsets have and architecture limitation as follows:

* Processors with a FSB-800 will support DDR-400

* Processors with a FSB-533 will support DDR-333 and DDR-266

* Processors with a FSB-400 will support DDR-266

If your computer has one of these chipsets and you put DDR-400 memory modules in it, it is only going to run at DDR-266, therefore if your CPU only has a FSB of 400 (FSB-400) it should save you money if you use DDR-266 modules.

I hope this little bit of information helps.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter