Thread: Second Slot of ddr 2 not working

sad Second Slot of ddr 2 not working

Hello Friends,

I'm having problem with my Gigabyte board. On that only my one stik of DDr 2 Ram works, when i try to insert second stick in the second slot i'm unable to boot my system. It keeps on rebooting. Can any body tell me why i'm having such problem on my system? Does any body have any idea about the above issue? Kindly help me out to resolve the above issue. Any help on the above issue would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Second Slot of ddr 2 not working

There have been numerous reports of errors in only tests 5 and 8 on Athlon systems. Often the memory works in a different system or the vendor insists that it is good. In these cases the memory is not necessarily bad but is not able to operate the speed. Sometimes more conservative memory timings on the motherboard will correct these errors. In other cases the only option is to replace the memory with better quality, higher speed memory. Don't buy cheap memory. On occasion test 5/8 errors will occur even with name brand memory and a quality motherboard. These errors are legitimate and should be corrected.

The primary improvement that DDR2 brings over its predecessor is the operation of the external data bus at twice the clock rate. This is achieved by operating the memory cells at half the clock rate (one quarter of the data transfer rate), rather than at the clock rate as in the original DDR. As a consequence, a DDR2 memory operated at the same external data bus clock rate as DDR will provide the same bandwidth but markedly higher latency, resulting in inferior performance. Alternatively, a DDR2 memory operated at twice the external data bus clock rate as DDR can provide twice the bandwidth with the same latency (in nanoseconds).

It may be that the frequency level might not be the same. I think the different frequency level is not allowing you to boot your system. It may be that you must be having 333 mghz Ram stik in your first slot and the second ram would be of 400 mghz or vice-versa. This may cause the problem because the frequency level does not matches with each other. So check your both Ram stick whether they are having same frequency level.