Thread: Does Intel Core i CPU based system support 16GB RAM

Does Intel Core i CPU based system support 16GB RAM

I am trying to find out that does system or laptops which are running on Intel Core i3/i5/i7 processors will support 16GB RAM or not. I had seen on some sources that says that it is easier to have 8GB ram on the same. But some of them also says that if you are lucky enough you can find Lenovo's new firmware installed laptop which can run on dual 8GB ram support. I am trying to find out exact model or system which can work on this. 16GB is quiet enough ram for a system to play games, but there are no direct reference of such models. Along with that Intel Core i series processor support is also needed.

Re: Does Intel Core i CPU based system support 16GB RAM

I had seen that many of Lenovos laptop which are equipped with Intel Core i series processor can only work on 8 GB ram maximum not more than that. I do not know where you read that. If you can give a link of such sources then it will become easier to investigate. You can do one thing, you can try contacting Lenovo live chat about the same. They might show you some models. I know some laptops with 16GB Ram support, but they different in specification and are not Lenovo brand.

I think Intel Core i7 will support 16GB RAM. Search for Sandy bridge systems. There are many high end laptop which are equipped with Sandy bridge processor. I am not sure where I had read this, but I can gone through a blog which guides on 16GB ram support on Windows 7 64 bit operating system. That will be surely a costly system.

Look for Dell. They have some 16GB Quad core laptops. Dell offers a 17 inch laptop with 1GB gpu support, 1TB dual drive with raid, 16GB RAM, etc. There are ample of other support also. I do not know what processor they are using. If it is a quad core then it is surely not a bad system. The series which Dell is talking about is Precision which is equipped with all this stuff. You might need to have a look properly on the official website. It is also said that maximum you can use 32GB on the same depends on your work.

It is right Dell Precision is a series of laptop which offers you this. The first one is Precision M6600 Mobile Workstation and the second one is Precision M4600 Mobile Workstation. Precision M4600 offers you Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition, 2GB graphics card, upto 32GB DDR3 RAM support @ 1333Mhz, eyefinity support, better display, etc. Another one Precision M6600 offers you similar support. The difference is that it has 4GB GPU support. There might be some minor difference in connectivity and model but other than this the laptop are awesome. This can be just a perfect system for your gaming purpose.

Lenovo has a product for the same. It is called as Lenovo ThinkPad W Series. This laptop offers USB 3.0 and 16GB Ram support. Equipped with Quad-core 2GHz Core i7 CPU processor, I think you must try to find some information on this. I am not sure about the price, but the same is estimated around $3,799.

I do not think 16GB ram on a laptop is recommended. If you want a gaming laptop then it is recommended that you must go for a desktop. Because in that there are more options to go for upgrades. In laptop there is nothing much you can do.