Thread: Starting my computer without a power button

Exclamation Starting my computer without a power button

Hey there. So just recently my power button decided it doesnt want to work (yes im positive its the button) So obviously i could go onto my mobo and connect the 2 pins. But unfornutely i dont have those 2 pins. My powerbutton connects to the mobo through an i/o connector? Idk, just wondering if theres anyway i can start my computer without the button

Re: Starting my computer without a power button

It's possible to turn a computer on remotely over the network using a function called wake-on-lan, but the machine has to be configured for it and you need another machine on the network that is also configured to administer that service.

The only other suggestion I can make is to open the case, trace the power button's wire to the motherboard, unplug it from the motherboard, and short the two terminals it plugged into using a screwdriver tip. That will turn the machine on, and technically you will not have used the power button.

First find and set your jumper, then to turn on the system by using the keyboard, you must enter BIOS Setup to set the “Keyboard Power ON” and the “Stroke Keys Selected” options, in the {Advanced} Chipset Setup. the word "ADVANCED" is in AMD MANUALS, im not sure about other manuals, that's how you can power on pc by keyboard.

There is an power switch (SW), reset switch (SW) and etc, all this are connected to the motherboard from the power button, reset button over the casing. When you see closer to the switch (SW) you can see it connect into the motherboard, the SW will insert and connect to 2 metal pin in the motherboard.

In the easy way to describe, when you press the power button, this 2 pin will be electrically connected to each other, and send the motherboard a signal to power on the system.

To start the computer without using the power button, take out the “Power SW”, make sure you identify which 2 pin belong to the power button (refer to the labeb behind), use a test pen or any metal surface to touch the two pin, it won’t have any electrick spark, just allow the electrict signal from 1 pin sed to another pin, your computer will be start without pressing any power button.See the image, which pin you have to remove.

Please bare in mind, do not test this if you do not have any basic technical knowledge, or consult some professional before you do it.

1. i cant turn on my computer therefor cant set bios.
    2. i dont have that same kind of power button hookup

this is where my power button goes

Starting computer without power button??!!
    Do you mean that your computer should start just by turning on the mains power? If this is, it will be very harmful for your computer because a computer cannot be run like a TV by just pressing mains power on. Even in TV, we use remote control to turn on/off after/before switching mains power supply respectively. Eventually, this way, you will ruin your computer. Get the power button on your computer corrected.

Before trying anything weird, kindly check the make and model of your power supply box in your computer

First, yes, i realize this is an old post. But since I was recently looking this up and found a viable midterm answer (meaning I can use it more than one time with out cracking the case open, though it requires a minor mod of the case), I thought I would answer the question, since this post was near the top of the list when I looked it up on Google. Here you go:
    1) Shut off all power and remove the power cable from the back of your computer.
    2) Remove the front panel of your computer. This may require the removal one or both side panels. The front panel is probably held on with a series of clips that just slide into the casing.
    3) Find the back side of the power button.
    4) Remove the wires from the back of the power button.
    5) Remove the power button from the front of the case.
    6) Slide the wires through the front of the case and affix them in place (duct tape works great for this).
    7) Use a pair of wire strippers (or a nice sharp knife, if you don't have wire strippers... be careful, as I am not responsible if you cut your finger open) to strip the last 1/4-1/2 inch of wire bare.

When you wish to power up the computer, simply touch the exposed wires together. This bypasses the button, much like bypassing the key ignition when hot-wiring a car.

wow, you are brilliant. i couldn't get my gateway dx4300 to start. I switched powersupplies, then nothing. then I thought maybe the milk my one year old kept pouring on top of the computer might be a problem, so I I was trying how to figure it out. saw your post, touched a screwdriver to those 2 pins (thanks for the pic) and voila, it starts up...

gracias.

now I may have to try the other guy's tip to hot wire the switch....

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxx View Post
    There is an power switch (SW), reset switch (SW) and etc, all this are connected to the motherboard from the power button, reset button over the casing. When you see closer to the switch (SW) you can see it connect into the motherboard, the SW will insert and connect to 2 metal pin in the motherboard.

In the easy way to describe, when you press the power button, this 2 pin will be electrically connected to each other, and send the motherboard a signal to power on the system.

To start the computer without using the power button, take out the “Power SW”, make sure you identify which 2 pin belong to the power button (refer to the labeb behind), use a test pen or any metal surface to touch the two pin, it won’t have any electrick spark, just allow the electrict signal from 1 pin sed to another pin, your computer will be start without pressing any power button.See the image, which pin you have to remove.

Please bare in mind, do not test this if you do not have any basic technical knowledge, or consult some professional before you do it.