Thread: Unable to detect One RAM STick

Unable to detect One RAM STick

I am facing a small problem with my laptop. I recently added a 1 gb ram stick in my laptop. the problem is i am unable to detect the new stick in my bios as well as when i login inside the laptop. I tried checking in other laptop and it works fine. Please provide some help regarding this

Re: Unable to detect One RAM STick

Have do you have any boot booster that came installed. A common issue with the EEE is that the RAM would not be recognized until the Bios was loaded then restarted with regular settings. Try that.

When you first start the computer get into the BIOS & see if you can load the defaults then restart & see if it detects all of it. you could search on the Gateway Support site for your laptop. Though it says 2 1GB sticks should work fine. You might want to call Gateway.

Memory is generally arranged in one of a two ways: single and dual ranks. You can also get dimms with 4 ranks, but they aren't common.

On some systems you can't mix single rank and dual rank memory sticks, and that's what you've done:
    DIMM0 (RAS 0, RAS 1) : 512 (Single Bank)
    DIMM1 (RAS 2, RAS 3) : 512 (Double Bank)

It used to be that single sided dimms had a single rank and double sided dimms had dual rank. But that's not always the case any more, particularly on SODIMMs.

You will need to exchange one of the memory sticks for one that it matches the layout of the remaining stick.

I also notice that the sticks have different speeds. That's not a good idea either, but it is unlikely to be causing this particular problem.

Best thing when adding more memory is to match the existing memory as closely as possible.

for XP it say 1024 on each channel which is good and for Vista, 3 channel is filled with 1024 which is also good but when vista start up, I did a windows+pause break and I only see 2.50g of ram.