Thread: AMD X2 5000+ vs Intel E5200?

AMD X2 5000+ vs Intel E5200?

AMD X2 5000+ vs Intel E5200?
    very simple, i need a new pc and these processors are in my price range. been reading lots of benchmark review and these processors seem to be on about par. Which would work best?

I also have a new asus MB to throw in if I switch processors. I use this machine for 9-% gaming.Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: AMD X2 5000+ vs Intel E5200?

The Intel Penium Dual Core E5200 will yield the best value, as long as you can heavily overclock it. If only AMD's Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition was happy to reach 3.5+GHz stably it would yield a far more competitive or even the best value processor in more tests.

For those that want to stick with AMD, the Athlon 5200+ also looks like a good possible choice for extremely cost concious individuals, but if that's the case, we would actually point you in the direction of the 4850e instead. In the performance graphs it may sit at the bottom, but we know it loves extra HyperTransport, and at just a 45W TDP it has oodles of thermal overhead meaning 3GHz+ is very doable. This would likely yield 6000+ or greater performance, but for a fraction of the cost, dropping it into the green area in many cases.

So it looks like our monthly buyers guide will still recommend the Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 then for the time being, and even if you're considering that E8400 upgrade - consider whether it would be worth saving the cash and dropping it on extra memory, or a better motherboard or graphics card instead.

If you are going to for mild overclock, both suits you fine. For heavy overclock, then go for the intel. They can clock higher.

For normal usage, just go for the cheaper one around.

hi,
    i'd suggest the intel, it has a higher cache, which is good for me. the 100 mhz difference isnt much of one. they are different socket types though, so make sure your motherboard can handle the one you get.

From what I read memory latency was something that hurt the A-64 line quite more than the new Intel processors.

Unfortunately from what I have seen on the net there aren’t any decent AMD versus Intel reviews. The reviews seemed to be gamed against either AMD or Intel with older Intel CPU’s and motherboards being compared to the newer AMD stuff or newer Intel stuff compared to older AMD chips and chipsets.

However the huge expansion in memory bandwidth should definitely yield some interesting results. Its quite obvious that AMD certainly isn’t content to let Intel wrestle away the market share that it has rightfully earned.

However the real wildcard if you will be those FPGA chips that you can plug into the AMD boards. I have always believed that specialized ASICS will beat even the fastests CPU’s hands down.

With Hypertransports ability to provide a high bandwidth low latency connection directly into the CPU AMD could have a huge advantage if suppliers begin developing FPGA chips for common applications such as SQL Server and physics chips for games.

Although the A-64 chip itself is quite a breakthrough the chipset architecture and the development of hypertransport will probably be the ace that AMD pulls out on Intel.