Thread: Max Supported Ram

question Max Supported Ram

Hey guys i want to upgrade my computers ram by 4GB but the problem is that my motherboard supports max 2GB ram according to this site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3419435

and according to this site my max ram is 4GB:

http://www.cyberindian.net/2007/05/2...il-desktop-pc/

so is it possible for me to upgrade to 4GB ram even if my max supported is 2GB? plz help me i am an extreme gamer and i want my pc to be as fast as possible

Re: Max Supported Ram

Yes your are right about your RAM but if you see on the Compaq official site you could see that it has mentioned that Supports up to 2 GB,so i will suggest that Try to Overclock the RAM if you know so, otherwise you could contact your manufacturer regarding it..

thanx for replying but is it not possible to put 2 GB ram x2 in one slot each will my computer detect it coz i want 4 GB ram not 2 GB is it possible? and i dont know how to overclock my ram if u know can u give me a tutorial plz

you can upgrade your ram upto 4gb but that will possess a sort of burden at your HDD. Your HDD must be atleast 250 gb. thus this will not effect your pc and the performance. so if possible go for it. to add more you should always refer to the official product site. as they can provide perfect information.

r u trying to say that even if i put 4 GB ram it wont give perfomace boost to games compared to 2 GB ram? coz if i install vista home premium x64 vista will atleast eat 1 gb of my ram then for gaming i need atleast 2 gb right? and my HDD is 160 GB is that ok???

Well even if your 1gb ram is consumed by vista 64 then too you will get a good result. 4 gb ram is twice to 2 gb ram at anytime!

If you want this for gaming then I must say purchase a good graphic card & you don't have to worry about the rest!

Hello, If you can see the Two motheboards Maybe Different As the Model number of Motherboard on official site is 945GCT-HM and another link is Intel 945GC chipset so sometimes it happen that different motherboard from same series have different configurations so If your motherboard is the one from official site then there no way you can use 4Gb ram , anyways you must first verify the exact model no of your motherboard or better post it here we will be able to solve these issue hope it help you

Thanx everyone and yea i am planning to upgrade my graphic card and ram coz they both suck right now i hav nvidia 7100GS(512 MB) currently and 1 GB ram and i am going to buy Ati Radeon 4870 HD and ram i want to know if i can put 4 GB coz i really want 4 GB is it possible and my motherboard is 945GCT-HM which supports max 2 GB but i really want 4 GB for maximum performance

come on guys i really need help upgrading my ram should i get 2 gb ram or 4 gb ram for extreme gaming + vista?

Quote Originally Posted by gamer1291 View Post
    come on guys i really need help upgrading my ram should i get 2 gb ram or 4 gb ram for extreme gaming + vista?
    Ram is not an issue for gaming but a bad graphic card is. And as you already know that Vista x64 can utilize all 4gb ram so you can go with it but if you want to play high end games then you probably need a good card like 4870 X2 type and also a good power supply with a good computer cabinet from which good air flow can be passed out.

Quote Originally Posted by unidentified View Post
    Ram is not an issue for gaming but a bad graphic card is. And as you already know that Vista x64 can utilize all 4gb ram so you can go with it but if you want to play high end games then you probably need a good card like 4870 X2 type and also a good power supply with a good computer cabinet from which good air flow can be passed out.
    Thanx dude but the problem is that my motherboard supports only 2gb can i still upgrade it to 4 gb? and i think one ati radeon 4870 is enough for gaming right coz x2 is a bit expensive i know that this card already beaten nvidia 9800 thats y i want ati now

Quote Originally Posted by gamer1291 View Post
    Thanx dude but the problem is that my motherboard supports only 2gb can i still upgrade it to 4 gb? and i think one ati radeon 4870 is enough for gaming right coz x2 is a bit expensive i know that this card already beaten nvidia 9800 thats y i want ati now
    Well, nope, obviously if your mobo cant support 4gb ram as stated then there is no sense upgrading it to 4gb. You can however, use windows xp which is much more stable than windows vista. And in a 32 bit OS you can still paly games, cause as of now, all games are based on 32 bit system only.

Quote Originally Posted by unidentified View Post
    Well, nope, obviously if your mobo cant support 4gb ram as stated then there is no sense upgrading it to 4gb. You can however, use windows xp which is much more stable than windows vista. And in a 32 bit OS you can still paly games, cause as of now, all games are based on 32 bit system only.
    oh too bad i really wanted 4 gb ram but i heard there is very less performace difference between 2 gb and 4 gb only some 5 - 10% speed thats all and i want to use vista coz of one and only one reason directx 10 which xp doesnt hav and if i get ati radeon 4870 wats the use if i cant use its full power?

guys i need help buying the right ram so can u guys tell me how much speed of ram should i buy and which type of ram DDR,DDR2 or DDR3 i should buy for maximum performance and i am planning to buy from newegg coz its cheap and available there will newegg deliver to india properly just to be on safe side?