Thread: Memory compatibility Problem?

Memory compatibility Problem?

hi,
    I have a problem with a new system that does not start - not the bios. It consists of the following.
    1. Asus P5Q Deluxe (s775, DDR2, P45)
    2. Mushkin 4GB DDR2-1066 Ram Kit (2 x 2GB, PC2 8500, 5-5-5-15) X 2 TOTAL 8 GB
    3. Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    4. Sparkle 9400GT SVGA
    5. Zalman 600w power supply
    I suspect that the memories are not compatible with the system. I have tried with 2 GB and at various other memory slot is not open. The manufacturer does not officially support this memory.Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Re: Memory compatibility Problem?

HI,
    Actually buying RAM depends on you preference and usage of computers. RAM clock speed isn't really going to help much. It actually depends on your machine and applications. For example, if your application likes to waste cycles then it will be more appropriate to get a higher frequency rate to reduce lagging. Though I have to tell you that most applications nowadays really do like to waste lots of cycles(It is somehow a good practice for programmers to allocate memory dynamically to avoid memory thrashing, but in exchange, you provide more cycles).

I had exactly the same problem. I have the same mobo and tried upgrading to 2GB of exactly the same Mushkin memory and had the same problems as you. I persuaded the memory supplier to take the Corsair memory. back. The then installed 2 x 1GB of Kingston RAM and it worked fine. I don't think Mushkin memory works very well with this card.

It may be a problem with the density of the ram chips on the modules. Do you have any specs on the new ram. Also check in the bios for memory settings that are set manually. It would be preferably to set them to auto, this way the bios can access the SPD chip on the ram and set it up properly.