Thread: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 Processor

AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 Processor

hi there

I am in search of a new processor as i think my processor is not so efficient; thus i wanted to buy a new one. I heard about AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 and I am currently using amd one. So i have a good trust on amd.
    can anyone please help me in finding some information regarding this processor.
    As i need it urgently, please help me in getting some views on it

your views will be appreciated

Re: AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 Processor

The Athlon 64 FX-57 has raised the frequency of this series by 200MHz. It means AMD’s processors have reached 2.8GHz clock rate. This CPU is traditionally equipped with a 1MB L2 cache and a dual-channel memory controller that supports DDR400 SDRAM, and is intended for ordinary Socket 939 mainboards. This combination of characteristics means only one thing: this processor is based on the San Diego core which is a close relative of the currently popular Venice. So, the Athlon 64 FX-57 has got all the advantages of this core, particularly SSE3 support and the improved memory controller that boasts a higher performance and enhanced compatibility.

General Specification of AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 Processor:

Ordering P/N: ADAFX57DAA5BN

Frequency: 2.8 GHz

Packaging: 939-pin organic micro-PGA

L2 Cache: 1MB

Memory Controller: 128-bit, Dual Channel

Supported Memory: DDR400 SDRAM

Hypertransport Frequency: 1 GHz

Core Stepping: E4

Process Technology: 90 nm, SOI

Transistor count: 114 million

Die Size: 115 mm2

Thermal Power: 104W

Max Temp: 63oC

Voltage: 1.35V - 1.4V

AMD64 Support: Yes

NX-bit Support: Yes

Cool’n’Quiet Support: Yes

AMD has launched its latest and greatest desktop processor, the AMD Athlon 64 FX-57. As the name suggests, the FX-57 is a faster variant of the FX-55, raising the core speed from 2.6GHz to 2.8GHz.

The FX-57 continues to use the Socket 939 form, with 1MB of L2 cache. It uses a core which has completed the transition from the 130nm Clawhammer to the 90nm San Diego that was started with FX-55. Besides making the core physically smaller, as the transistor count is unchanged at 114 million, the San Diego adds SSE3 instructions and also has an improved memory controller.

The memory controller for Opteron and Athlon 64 processors is inside the processor core, instead of being in the motherboard chipset, but this is an enhancement rather than a wholesale change. FX-57 still uses DDR memory, rather than DDR2, but you should now be able to plug in four modules of memory without suffering from incompatibility problems that cause your memory to clock down in speed.

In the past when AMD has introduced a new FX processor it has discontinued the previous model, so there isn't a family of FX processors but instead the FX sits at the top of the Athlon 64 family, offering the ultimate in desktop performance for gamers.

As with previous FX processors the clock multiplier is unlocked, so AMD fully expects that you'll be overclocking your new processor, in which case you'd better have a decent power supply and a top-notch motherboard which can supply up to 80A to the processor.

The AMD Press kit that we received consisted of the FX-57, an Asus A8N nForce4 SLI motherboard and 1GB of Corsair CMX512 memory in two modules. Unfortunately the BIOS that was installed did not allow any overclocking which rather defeated the object of the exercise, however we were able to run benchmark tests that showed the FX-57 would be equivalent to an Athlon 64 4200+ and is very, very fast indeed. But at that price, it ought to be.