Thread: Cannot Install New RAM?

Cannot Install New RAM?

Hi,
    i bought 512mb DDR RAM (as 2x 256mb sticks),i thought it will work fine after installation, but when i turned my monitor on to find that it said No Signal.My motherboard is Intel 946PL/GZ Express Chipset. I was wondering if it was because of it being dual channel? I tried a couple more times just to be sure, but the same again. I just checked the mobo manual and it says that what i have should be compatible.So, I took the new RAM stick and put it in slot B1, and did not install the other RAM stick. So the computer boots up fine. So, Then I though maybe they dont work in dual channel.

Can anyone help!!!

Re: Cannot Install New RAM?

hi,
    check the new RAM with the correct speed. If so, try the new RAM on its own, if that works ok then re-add the existing sticks one at a time and test again. It may be that the two different types are incompatible.

hi,
    I had a simmilar problem, I am attempting to replace my 2 512mb sticks with two 1gb sticks. I have noticed some issues with the workstation hanging at times, and pulling the plug is the only resolution. I have noticed issues with attempting to run two sticks of memory regardless of amount 512 or 1gb. I fear that I can only use one memory bank. Hope that helps.

dual channel can only works when chipset motherboard support. and 2 sticks of Identical memory speeds & size are used. otherwise you can use a Dual channel kit in a non dual channel supporting system with out any troubles, chances are its something else.Try taking out new ram and boot with the older one.if the older ram boots then the problem with new ram .which case remove the old stuff, & do as I said earlier. if it still doesn't boot with the old stuff, something else is possibly wrong, something knocked out of socket, cable loose, could be anything.If more than one stick new, try booting with one stick of ram at a time, see if system boots, could be one stick is bad.