Thread: Motherboard is not Responding new Cabinet

Motherboard is not Responding new Cabinet

I have shifted my motherboard to a new case. 600MHz AMD Athlon with a Asus motherboard is the basic cofiguration I have as motherboard.

I tried to shift the entire thing to the new case and I was pretty much successful in shifting unless it is not booting now. It was working fine before I shifted it to the new case.

As I try to boot the computer, it just stops on the memory test section. So to be on a clearer side it doesn't even start the memory test.

It says memory in memory test but performs nothing.

On the bottom of the screen it provides a message that press del for setup or esc to skip memory test. but pressing the del or esc keys does no help with anything. It is not proceeding any further than that.

Anybody have any solutions

Any help will be appreciated.

Re: Motherboard is not Responding new Cabinet

If it will let you go into the bios (hit del), try restoring bios settings to default (on a computer that old, the motherboard battery may be weak or dead and it lost settings). If not, try removing and reseating the memory and or cpu. There should also be a jumper on the motherboard to reset the bios, try that (in fact that might be something to try first). Its usally located near the battery.

I tried to add 1Gb of memory to my old P4's 512Mb that was in DIMM3. Didn't POST when I put the 1Gb in DIMM2, so took everything out, 1Gb wouldn't boot anywhere, so I put back the 512Mb and now it hangs on memory...

Switch off the PC before you open it up. (At the mains power, not just Windows shutdown or the power button.

Try one RAM module in slot 1. Reset CMOS. Boot up and see if it starts.

If not, repeat the procedure using the other module. Make sure both times that the module is firmly and completely seated in the RAM slot. Make sure also that your video card is firmly and completely seated in its slot.

Resetting CMOS simply changes BIOS settings back to factory preset defaults. The BIOS settings are merely the settings which identify the various components in your PC and how they are set to operate, in order that they can 'see' and communicate with each other.

Resetting CMOS is a useful troubleshooting procedure for hardware problems.

And make sure the memory is properly seated. That's the number one cause of "fails memory test during POST". The number two cause is bad memory -- make sure the memory works in a known-good machine if reseating the memory doesn't fix your problems.