Thread: replacing a dell laptop motherboard

sad replacing a dell laptop motherboard

I have a new motherboard coming from dell support. How hard is it to install on my 1525 laptop? Do you need to configure the jumpers first?

Re: replacing a dell laptop motherboard

Be certain you have a ground on the platform where the laptop is worked on.
    Buy a disc of schematics for Dell from someone on eBay.
    Be sure you have all the strong, small tools you need. Cheap tools will fail you.
    Have plenty of places to put tiny parts and screws.
    If you have never done this before, write or draw where each screw came from.
    Use Loctite or other brand screw compound on each screw put back in to be sure it doesn't work its way out later.
    Be damned sure you're using the same model of motherboard as a replacement, as each motherboard is different in size and shape. Other Dell motherboards will not fit, even when from a similar model.

I would also download the latest BIOS, chipset, and other related hardware drivers. If you have never installed or upgraded a BIOS, read up on it, because it is a dangerous process that can ruin a motherboard before you know what happened.
    you know you've made it big on here when you have your own imposter

HI Harve,

It is possible to install the Dell motherboard on the Laptop but for that you have to have some kinda knowledge of hardware installation, then you should have the drivers for the 1525 laptop motherboard on the Microsoft site which are also necessary,otherwise you may have the motherboard CD drivers try to install using that.

Regards,

It is actually impossible to change the motherboard. The reason for this is that mobos for laptops are designed specifically for the OEM it is installed into. Most laptop CPUs can be accessed either under the backing or under the ram cover, If it is then first remove the ram cover first to see if the chip is accessible from here, if not then you have a long night ahead of you, oftenly removing the entire bottom cover from a laptop requires removal of all the ly screws as well as the rear screws, the screen bezel screws, the screws underneath the battery and in some cases the keyboard must be removed and a few to be removed underneath this. A good start would be a tackle box to organize and label all of the screws as chances are quite a few of them will be of all different lengths. To remove the processor you will need a large screwdriver and you will need to rotate the screw counter clockwise. Make sure before you install the new chip that you procure a grounding strip because processors are ESD (electrostatic discharge) sensitive.

The important and easy way to do it is go to www.dell.com, connect to support, then enter your Service Tag number. Dell will then list all the downloads available for all operating systems it supports.They will list one usually called FlashBIOS. Just read all those instructions carefully and do EXACTLY what they say. Luckily, Dell BIOS installs and upgrades are easier and safer than most.

I like to download the entire set of drivers, applications, diagnostics, IDE/EIDE, Input devices, patches and fixes, resolution assistants, and particularly, the Video Graphics drivers. Then burn them to a disc so you have them available Chipset installs are not always needed or offered, unless there have been problems with the board, or if Dell used software or firmware to make an intel board fit their particular model. Usually patches and fixes will contain what you need.

Some Dell laptop motherboards have jumpers that need to be set, and this can be difficult without a manual or schematic. Just make the new one look like the old one, and keep the old one handy.

Each download will have detailed instructions if they are important.The BIOS is the one dangerous area. I would not upgrade the BIOS unless it needs it. Be CERTAIN you are using a download that has not been corrupted. Whether downloaded and installed to a floppy or a cd disc, be certain the disc is not faulty. Any corruption in the BIOS will render the motherboard unusable, permanently. When installing, wait five or ten minutes to assure the install is complete. Dell FlashBIOS is better and safer than most.

Good luck to you. The first motherboard replacement is the only difficult one. Do it while rested, and keep a note pad handy. Let us know how it went.

smile Re: replacing a dell laptop motherboard

Thanks for all of the replies. All help is greatly appreciated.

I will be working on a wooden table so it should be grounded. I will also be using a grounding wrist strap.

I have a disk of Dell schematics buts it’s too old. My 1525 is not on there. I’ll have to buy a new one. I just ordered a service manual and user guide off Ebay.

I have plenty of good tools.

I have several small Tupperware bowls I can label and everything.

I spent a whole day last week downloading all 54 drivers, patches and updates from Dell’s support website for my 1525. I also turned all of the instructions into word documents and saved them. I have backed all of that up and all other important stuff to a set of dvds last night.

I flashed the BIOS as well so I have some experience with that.

I have done a lot of hardware changes on desktops over the years but only RAM and hard drive changes on laptops. I’ve never replaced a motherboard in any platform though.

What motherboard drivers do I need besides BIOS and chipset?

Will a new processor come with the new board? Will the jumper settings be in the schematic? I think the motherboard is an Asus board that they make especially for Dell. It is not listed on their website at all so there is no support that way.

The thing is under warranty including an on-site warranty. You’d think that they’d send a tech out to replace it. I talk to the supervisor again today and I will ask him. I’m having keyboard and hard drive troubles too so I might try to talk him into shipping it to him and letting them do an exhaustive diagnostic on everything. I’ve heard nightmares about how poor and slow their service is. I dread it. So far, they’ve treated me right. Let’s hope that continues.

Everybody have a great day. Thanks again for all of the good advice and quick replies.

Harve