Thread: cpu has yellow exclamations

ThumbsUp cpu has yellow exclamations

hello techarena,

glad to be here.

system -dell xps400, pentium d 2.8 ghz, 2gb(presently takes 4, troubleshooting so i took 2 out), 1tb harddrive(wd caviar, tr shtn-removed a 160 and a 500 gb)

i had problems with my computer. did a fresh install ( about a dozen of 'em) the device manager always looked ok.

i thought it was memory becasue of lot bsod's ,so i did a mem 86 and a windows diag on it.
    wierd --at first the win diag gave me lrand error ran again and it was error free. the mem 86 ran the fan superfast at first and then ran again and it was error free. i am confident that the memory is sound.

i started thinking power supply or mobo.

then i checked the device manger again and i found yellow exclamation marks
    on the processor intel pentiumd cpu 2.8 ghz.

right click -->properties received this message:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

could someone help me fix this, i installed the latest chipset driver but it did not change.

thanks,
    craig

ThumbsUp Re: cpu has yellow exclamations

It seems that the installation source is corrupt! The Error is reported as a registry error, so that means a sofware problem, install the OS from some other Media. hope that works for you...!
    All the best!

Re: cpu has yellow exclamations

Try using these Steps:-

1. Click Uninstall, and then click Scan for hardware changes to load a usable driver.
    2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, and then select Last Known Good Configuration. This rolls back to the most recent successful registry configuration.

If Doing this don't work than try to Contact Hardware Manufacturer for the proper registry settings or updated drivers.

Error Code 19

First Welcome to TechArena

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. To fix this problem you can first try running a Troubleshooting Wizard. If that does not work, you should uninstall and then reinstall the hardware device. (Code 19)

Recommended resolutions

A registry problem was detected.

This can occur when more than one service is defined for a device, if there is a failure opening the service subkey, or if the driver name cannot be obtained from the service subkey. Here are some things that you can try to resolve this problem.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager and scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Edit the registry for Error Code 19

Edit the registry

This content is designed for an advanced computer user.

As a last resort, you can edit the registry directly. For more information, see the Registry Reference in the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit at the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true)

The registry information applies to Windows XP.

Re: cpu has yellow exclamations

hello techarena,

i am glad to report the yellow exclamation marks are gone.

i uninstalled the processors by right clicking and then uninstall.
    rebooted my computer and let windows reinstall the drivers.

thank you so much for all your help.

thanks again,
    craig