Thread: New system restarts 2x, hangs on third - NO POST

New system restarts 2x, hangs on third - NO POST

Hi. I just built a new computer and I am having some trouble. Everything is brand new out of the box and when I put it all together, it restarts 2 times and then just hangs on the third.

-Mobo is ASUS Rampage Extreme x48
    -My cpu is the intel Q9550
    -The RAM I have is OCZ Fatal1ty DDR3 ram. Here is the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227336
    -I have a 600w Rosewill PSU.
    -VGA is a cappy pci card that I am temporarily using until I decide on a new gfix card.

Other than that, nothing is connected. I tried ASUS online forums for support but I'm not having much luck with that.

Here's what I've tried:
    -Checking cables and connections
    -Setting up system outside of case on cardboard (even though my case is acrylic)
    -Re-seating the CPU
    -Reapplying thermal paste
    -making sure all clips of heatsink and secure and clamped down all the way
    -clearing CMOS
    -trying both sticks of RAM in slot closest to CPU. tried other variations too
    -took ram out completely and system has the same symptoms
    -removed front panel connectors and just left system beep.
    -tried with system beep in or out

I've had overheat problems with other systems before and I am 99% sure this is not an overheat issue. Why? When a system overheats it is generally random. In this case, the results are very consistent. If it was overheating, the heatsink would be hot (duh). My case, its not. If it was overheating, it would not hang, it would simply turn off and stay off. Mine restarts itself and then hangs.

Another reason why I do not think it is a heatsink/overheating issue. I took the heatsink off completely and allowed the system to overheat and it did and it shut down and did not turn itself on. This is what is supposed to happen with an overheat. Also, EVEN IF there is an overheating problem, that does not mean the system shouldn't post. When other systems overheat, they ALWAYS post, and barely make it into the BIOS. Mine does NOT post. at all. I get no visual, no beep, nothing.

ASUS support sucks and I can't get a hold of any sort of representative.

I think I've tried just about everything except using a different power supply, which I may try soon. Any other ideas? I'm willing to work with anything people give me. I am just fed up with ASUS right now and the moderator on their forum insists that something is wrong with my stock intel heatsink. I beg to differ

Also, if no one has any ideas, I really just need to know if it is possible that it is a RAM issue. Like I said I get the same problem with or without ram, but I need to know if its possible that I have 2 faulty sticks cause I need to RMA them if so
    Last edited by jeffrey92; 30-12-2008 at 05:23 AM.

Dr. V Guest

Re: New system restarts 2x, hangs on third - NO POST

what do you think about compatibility issue ? it may that there some incompatibility between your peripheral most probably graphics card

Really? I mean, I can understand how an older PCI card might not be compatible, but are these symptoms of a compatibility issue? I just don't see why that would be the case because I looked in the motherboard booklet and there are error codes for when no VGA is detected. It would have given me some sort of beep.

And Dr. V, I wish I could be troubleshooting an OS issue, but I can't even make it to the BIOS

I had the same problem with my other computer, that was the power connector to the graphics card, is there another pci-e power cable you could try on your psu?

Well right now I don't even have a PCI-e card installed. just regular PCI, no external power needed