Thread: Should I have 2 like memory chips ?

Should I have 2 like memory chips ?

Recently my video card and motherboard died. Initially my computer used to hang a lot. So finally I decided to get buy again. As far as memory is concerned, I am thinking not to buy new memory and only use the one that works. But as far as I understand, this will lead to performance consequences. So, for the sake, I might order one 2GB module (already have one 2GB of RAM with me). Do you want to say something or have any suggestions ?

Re: Should I have 2 like memory chips ?

Which chipset do you have? It is quiet common to run the ram of 2 different manufacturers on the same computer, but you may be unfortunate to discover that it does not work. Nvidia's chipsets are often hard to use two different brands of RAM. Do you have the chipset from Intel, because it is however much greater chance that the mixing of the pieces work. Hope this helped

If you are running one dual-channel then you should have both equal pieces. So if you are running 2 x 1024 in dual-channel so the system has only 1 GB available? Is that true?

No you will not lose the RAM in Dual Channel use ... What happens is that each piece stands on its own channel.

For example, compare the difference by filling the two water tanks with water and the pipes are channels.

The pipes can only transfer as much of the time spend to fill two tanks. So instead of connecting both tanks on a pipeline, connect the 2 different pipes and run both on full pressure; you will get both filled as quickly.

Such works with Dual Channel, you may say, only that you have transfers both ways.

So are you saying that running both sets (dual-channel) and if I have 4 x 1 GB is better, even if Windows is not most of it? Would I be getting the benefits of dual channel on 3 GB? Or on 2 x 2 GB?

If you do not have 64bit OS, 3 GB is the max what you might get to use. If you run a setup with 2 x 2 GB then only 3 of them would work. The last gigabyte would be used by the system.