Thread: Can you damage a BIOS?

Can you damage a BIOS?

Is that like Windows can force to crash a BIOS (the whole structure of the program itself) can succeed in destroying it.

I was overclocking for a week, and it was stucked on CPU with the post code 52 => Error ram, then by pressing the reset button it started.

So I flashed, and launched MemTest. The ram is perfectly stable.However I suppose the BIOS could be corrupted.

If you have a similar case, it would be nice to me know.

Re: Can you damage a BIOS?

The EEPROM might have suffered by voltage variations as any electronic component. It happened to me and never resolved despite flashing.

I also had a motherboard (MSI KT6V) who refused to boot below 20 degrees ambient (bug recognized by the manufacturer).

I am sure that your card has a big problem! It has nothing to do with heating. Are you sure you don't have any problem of connections: false contact for example (memory, graphic card, HDD, ...). Eliminate this particular aspect of the problem.

I suppose voltage level is OK, even if my psu has is pretty old; it is still doing his job perfectly. Indeed I have done overclocking, it was found that it worked perfectly. Also note that everything is stable, the only problem is that it not booting.

I would say a capacitor problem: at startup, after a long period of rest, they are discharged and at the time of recharge, the voltage is not corrected. On the contrary, hot and thus loaded, no problem.

If you can, try another psu to discriminate the problem.

I would try another psu when I would have the time promised.

For now I have reversed my two RAM sticks. I also removed the cable from my second SATA hard drive [which was disconnected]. I took the opportunity to see if any jumper was poorly positioned and at the same time I made a CMOS in the old way, I turned the stack.