Thread: RAM suggestions

RAM suggestions

Hello Quimby here,
    I am thinking to upgrade my Pc and a bit confused between choosing Ram Amount. let suppose I have this specific motherboard that supports Ram up to 8 Gb DDR2 Ram,in four slots.and i want 4 GB ram for my computer system.Now the real question arises that what should i opt for.

1) 4 X 1Gb = 4Gb ram(4 ram sticks of 1 gb each)
    2) 2 X 2Gb = 4Gb ram(2 ram sticks of 2 gb each)
    3) 1 X 4Gb = 4Gb ram(1 ram stick of 4 gb)

although i will finally get 4Gb Ram but Would there be Performance Difference?
    pls gives appropriate suggestions and reason for it.
    Thanks in advanced

Re: RAM suggestions

I would choose the cheapest option. Just because the mother board will hold four DDR2s does not necessarily mean that it will hold 4 gig. DDR2s, it may be limited to 2 gb in one slots the third option is invalid. out of the two you can go for cheapast option available.

The earlier tests on DDR2, showed virtually no difference between running two sticks and running four sticks. For example, on tech, they didn't have to change CAS, to make the memory run properly. There were only minor differences in timing.

Every motherboard is different in this regard -

1) Some only run properly, using the latest BIOS.

2) Some seem to have problems with 4GB or 8GB installed.

Bumping Vdimm or Vnb, sometimes helps in the transition from three sticks to four sticks.

3) Memory is now available, at much higher speeds than the original tech bus loading tests. At the higher speeds, there are fewer guarantees that four sticks will work as well.Just because a memory says "DDR2-1066", doesn't mean itwill work at that speed in all motherboards. You may have to accept a lower operating speed.If the memory is being run at one of the higher speeds, I'd probably buy the 2x2GB setup.

Thanks for the help i really appreciate it. I'm very crazy about computer and have to know the full how and know what is better and what can increase performance?

Memory is the most important - even more critical than the type of processor Having enough memory ensures that you probably will never have to use hard-disk space as "virtual" memory, called swap-file or page-filing. Using the hard-drive as memory results in more frequent and severe fragmentation. I recently defragmented a laptop that was 37 % fragmented! You read that right - 34%. Over time, even with running defragmentation, the operating system will become corrupted and the computer will die a slow horrible death due to depleted/insufficient resources. Having sufficient memory also speeds up boot-up and how quickly programs start running.