Thread: Computer says,"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in"

Computer says,"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in"

good, I have this problem when I try to boot the pc:
    it will light up, and before it begins to load windows, I get:
    "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in". It always runs normally, but a few days ago I had opened one program or another window of IE7 and it restarted, but now I'm it to boot, the more likely it happens again ...

please need a solution, thanks

it usually happens when the cable either ide or sata your hard drive is not operating normally.

I have a problem when that screen appears "select proper boot device", I have to be poking the Windows XP CD to boot the operating system but it doesn't works.

The best way ... repair windows (I mean that put the windows cd, select cd to boot as windows and install ... there comes an option to repair windows files ... something well, in part to select the partition. Unformatted not tell you to re-install it.

Re: Computer says,"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in"

my computer says reboot & select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device & press a key.

When I try to reboot windows xp home edition reloads files then says set up is starting windows press enter. When pressed enter says set up did not find any hard drives installed on the computer, cannot continue press F3 to quit.

How can I save what is on the computer - as has studies and work information on it. What would have caused this and can I rectify?

Re: Computer says,"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in"

I was also facing the same issue.Try to go into BIOS Setting and Check if the Hard Disk is Detected or not if yes than goto Advanced BIOS setting and Check the First Boot Device it should be your Hard Drive. By doing this it worked for me hope it work for you too.

if you enter the bios and you see that IDE MASTER CAN'T BE DETECTED try to check the cables and wirings that is connected to the hard drive maybe its a lose cable wiring thats why the hard drive can't be detected

Is your cdrom drive slave or master? My preference is to use cable select for all IDE drives. Your main HDD with windows should always be set to the Master jumper setting. That way you don't have to worry about master and slave. The device on the middle connector (grey) is slave and the one on the end connector (black) is master. In order to resolve your issue, you can check out the following link. Hope so it may help you out.

Hi there. I've got the same problem if anyone can help? I sort of dropped my laptop last night , only about 4cm... Now when I turn it on it is saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. Please can sum1 help me but I'm not too clued upon computers so please explain carefully wat I should do ..... Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Kmkammy View Post
    Hi there. I've got the same problem if anyone can help? I sort of dropped my laptop last night , only about 4cm... Now when I turn it on it is saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key. Please can sum1 help me but I'm not too clued upon computers so please explain carefully wat I should do ..... Thanks so much
    Well, I think either some Hard drive cables have gotten loose inside the laptop or it can also be possible that your hard drive might be dead as you have already said that you dropped your laptop so that might have damaged it. The least you can do is open up the laptop and check loose cables if any and if that is not the case then I think you are sole.

smile Re: Computer says,"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in"

Thanks for your reply , I'll have a look inside. Sorry to ask you another question it's just in I'm Spain and don't speak Spanish... Is there any way to save the stuff on my computer and transfer it to another one ( if I buy a new one). And does it have to be the same computer? Do I take the hdd off the back? I have an ASus laptop . Thanks

Well, I suppose if your hard drive is in working condition then you can obvioulsy take it off from the laptop and plug it in another laptop and transfer files, but if your hard drive is not working then you will have to pay to some data recovery solutions to recover the data from the hdd. You cant even get your laptop replaced because it was fell by you.