Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Motherboard Processor & RAM
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How much RAM is supported by my Computer?

Motherboard Processor & RAM

Old 13-08-2008

How much RAM is supported by my Computer?

I work in a editing company & for this purpose I do a lot of video editing. First, My system comfiguration is listed below. Now for my question, will I have to upgrade RAM for my pc or not, and if yes then how much can my pc support or would be sufficient?

Specs:-
Pentium 4 with 2.8GHz
512mb of RAM
Windows XP with SP3

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 13-08-2008

From free for any lagging you would require atleast 1gb ram but what you have might be enough I think.
Old 13-08-2008

It depends on you cause 512mb memory is not alot of memory that will work fine with Windows XP. So, if you intend to increase it to more memory like 1gb then with your editing work you can also see the Operating System running smoothly. Also, if you can add 2gb RAM then it will definitely make the editing rendering faster but if you dont have a good graphic card or processor then the performance will eventually bottleneck. So, to increase the performance of your computer & video editing you should definitely increase the RAM.
Old 13-08-2008

My friend has a system exactly with the same configuration, except he always keeps open Firefox, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc; with 2gb RAM & an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. So you can see, why you need to upgrade your RAM so that you can also open multiple apps at a time without any problem. Also if possible then try upgrading to Intel core 2 duo processor so in future you can overclock it as well.
Old 30-08-2008

Hello, there are several programs that will give you alot of system info. Everest Home Edition, SisoftSandra, PCwizard to name a few. I don't think any of them will tell you what the max ram speed is, but they'll usually give you enough info to help you find out.
Once you know the make and model number of the motherboard you do a google search to find the info on it or go to the manufacturers website to find info.
My personal favorite is Everest.

TechArena Community > Hardware > Motherboard Processor & RAM
Tags: ,