Thread: What is the difference between dual core n core 2 duo

What is the difference between dual core n core 2 duo

Hello

I just want to know What is the difference between core2duo n dual core ?
    which one is better ? there are lots of motherboards so intel mobo is better or others mobo ?

Dual Core is a "class" or architecture of processors which refers to any processor with two cores on the same chip.
    Core2Duo is a regitered trademark [™] of the Intel Corporation.

Intel Core 2 Duo processors are next gen processors from Intel on 65 nm platform… developed from Ground up with new Architecture called Core… so they are whole new Processors just Jump like Pentium 2 to Pentium 3 or Pentium 4… Expect one Core 2 Duo Lowest End Processors like E4400/E4300

Intel Dual Core Processors are just launched striped down version of Core 2 Duos.. there are 2 in Market for Desktop range, E2140 runs at 1.6 GHz with 1 MB L2 and 800 MHz FSB and E2160 with 1.8 GHz with same specs of E2140…. these are not Pentium D rather they are same batch like Core 2 Duo based on the new Core Technology

In Dual core both the cores share same cache memory
    In core2Duo both the cores have separate cache memory

The Core 2 Duo is Intel's second generation (Hence, Core 2) processor made for desktops and laptops designed from the ground up to be fast while not consuming nearly as much power as previous CPUs, Dual core is simply a generic term referring to any processor package with two physical CPUs in one.

Dual Core is better because it has 2 processors. The more the better. (Dell has a Quad Core, 4, processor computer and Mac has a Dual Quad Core processor, yes 8 processors). The main difference is that core duo is 32-bit processor, where as Core 2 Duo is 64-it processor, also for Core 2 Duo, the cache memory is 4MB compared to 2MB of Core Duo.

Re: What is the difference between dual core n core 2 duo

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnwn View Post
    In Dual core both the cores share same cache memory
    In core2Duo both the cores have separate cache memory
    I think, it is the other way around. Core2Duo has cores that share same cache while Dual Core has cores with separate cache.

Quote Originally Posted by Projectkmo View Post
    The Core 2 Duo is Intel's second generation (Hence, Core 2) processor made for desktops and laptops designed from the ground up to be fast while not consuming nearly as much power as previous CPUs, Dual core is simply a generic term referring to any processor package with two physical CPUs in one.

Dual Core is better because it has 2 processors. The more the better. (Dell has a Quad Core, 4, processor computer and Mac has a Dual Quad Core processor, yes 8 processors). The main difference is that core duo is 32-bit processor, where as Core 2 Duo is 64-it processor, also for Core 2 Duo, the cache memory is 4MB compared to 2MB of Core Duo.
    Both Dual Core and Core2Duo has only one physical "technically" processor, but virtually both of them has 2 cores meaning 2 processors virtually. Same as QuadCore, one physical processor but virtually 4 cores or 4 processors.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco-D View Post
    Hello

I just want to know What is the difference between core2duo n dual core ?
    which one is better ? there are lots of motherboards so intel mobo is better or others mobo ?
    Hey before you select or decide what processor are you going to have, always remember to ask yourself. For what purpose will you use a computer? Is it for entertainment? or for work?

The difference between Core2Duo and Dual Core is the "CACHE", if you know how cache works then definitely you will understand the difference between the two microprocessors. It's not about speed, it's all about throughput. Simple idea about Cache: "Cache is also considered as one of the memory". Every processor has a cache, Core2Duo and Dual Core which is a single physical processor but virtually 2 processors.

Core2Duo is much better than Dual Core because of "Cache" and with that Core2Duo has much throughput than Dual Core.

Well thanks for those replies guys it was really helpful for me!
    I was about to buy P4 for my friend & I wanted to know which 1 is better between Dual Core & Core2Duo & I finally bought a Core2Duo for him!
    But know I think the QuadCore is what hot & in demand these days!

Thanks a lot for guiding me friends!

Which motherboard you think is best for a QuadCore processors?

Yogesh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jobbin View Post
    P.S:My intention is not to spam. Let me know if I should remove the link and post the text directly.
    Yes, you need to post the text directly. External link posting is not allowed for newer members.

And irrelevant links are never allowed. For more details, read forum rules.
    Forum Guidelines & Terms of Service
    Forum Signature and Avatar Guidelines

And yes...

harshdabir Guest

idea Re: What is the difference between dual core n core 2 duo

Difference Between Dual Core and Core 2 Duo

• Categorized under Objects

intel_dual_coreDual Core vs Core 2 Duo
    Dual core processors are those that contain 2 cores in a single silicon chip while Core 2 Duo is the name given by Intel to its second batch of dual core processors.

The processor wars have hit a major speed bump as clock speeds become harder and harder to push upwards. Because the number of transistors in a single chip continues to follow its upward trend, processor manufacturers like Intel and AMD have decided to go a different route in increasing the performance of their products, adding more cores into a single chip that leads to a performance boost if the OS supports it. Two or more cores can greatly aid in multi-tasking where each core can work independently of each other. All processors that have 2 cores in them are collectively called as dual core processors regardless of which manufacturer it came from, while those that have 4 processors in a single chip are called quad core.

Initially, Intel called their dual core processors as Core Duo, a very obvious reference to two cores, while AMD called theirs the X2. Intel’s dual core processors were simply 2 Pentium 3 processors that were fabricated in a single chip. As they refined their product more, they decided to differentiate their second set of processors from the Core Duo and decided to call it Core 2 Duo.

Basically, the difference between dual core processors and the Core 2 Duo processors is just in the semantics as Core 2 Duo is simply a name given to a more recent family of dual core processors. If we translate this to the single core processors, we can say that Core Duo is Pentium 1 while Core 2 Duo is Pentium 2, while AMD has their own processors with different names; but all these are still single core processors. We can therefore say that Core 2 Duo is simply a subset of all the dual core processors that are out in the market today.

Summary:
    1. Dual core is the generic name given to processors that have 2 cores on the same chip
    2. Core 2 Duo is the second line of dual core processors from Intel
    3. Other dual core processors aside from Core 2 Duo are the Core Duo from Intel and the X2 series from AMD
    4. All Core 2 Duo processors are dual core but not all dual core processors are Core 2 Duo

Read more: Difference Between Dual Core and Core 2 Duo | Difference Between | Dual Core vs Core 2 Duo