Thread: Error while resetting an ATI Radeon x1950 pro

Error while resetting an ATI Radeon x1950 pro

I have an ATI Radeon x1950 pro and about a 1 year ago i have faced the black screen problem whole playing an Europa Universalis III and then VPU recovery box would appear. I was using the Windows XP 64 bit version on my pc but then i upgraded it by installing the 64 bit windows 7 on it and problem have gone.
    Now when i try to play Rome: Total War then the same problem (black screen) appears. And it happens with the Empire: Total War too. My pc has 2 Gb RAM and Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600.

Re: Error while resetting an ATI Radeon x1950 pro

As you have upgraded your computer system from windows xp to the windows 7 then i guess you computer would be still using the windows xp drivers. I guess the black screen problem would be causing just because of the drivers which you have installed. I think you should go further installing the 64 bit win 7 drivers which might solve your black screen error.

This could be happening because of the cooling of your ATI Radeon x1950 pro. Actually i have heard that this is the hottest card from an ATI which gets heated very quickly so if your fan or a fan speed is not enough for cooling up this card then the black screen gonna disturb almost all the time when you try to play the games with the high graphic supports. I suggest you to increase the fan speed of your system then check for the problem.

Actually cooling solution of Radeon x1950 pro is very bad due to which it gets hot quickly. Even if your fan is running at the maximum speed, this card would not be getting cooled. I suggest you to regularly clean the heat sink, the fan, and replace the thermal compound in order to use your ATI card without any problems.

I have seen the same kind of problem on my computer system which was having the same ati card on it. At the end i found that this card needs some powerful power supply to make it running without any problem as it draws a lot of power.
    Not having enough power can cause problems like this in certain cases.
    Last edited by ApPy10; 31-05-2010 at 11:49 AM.

There might be the problem of driver as if you have not uninstalled an older drivers properly then those drivers would be disrupting with the new one which must be the driver of windows 7 64bit version. I would like to reinstall the drivers but before that first of all uninstall the current drivers properly then let windows install the drivers automatically. I guess this procedure would be best to install the drivers and then check whether the same problem still persists or not.

I think the Cooling Fan which has been installed on your computer system would not be enough to cooling up an ATI Radeon x1950 pro and even this card is very much famous for its high temperature. I think you should use some software which increase the speed of your fan or it would be better if you buy a new fan with the more capabilities.