Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT Brands/Prices

These Big Byte folks told me no XFX 6600 GT available now....they are importing by 17th Jan...price 12.5 K....donno if these are 900 or 1000 Mhz

Topcat_garfield...dont compromise on it man....do everything needed to get the card you want

What Lite version

There's no Lite version for AGP 6600gt, the memory speed of 1100 or 1000 MHz is rather the OC version of the card. If you look at nvidia website, the actual speed listed is 900 MHz for AGP and 1000 for PCI-e. The speed reduction is done to increase stability of HSI bridge chip on AGP version.

The specifications

Dude, the NVidia site gives the specs for the reference card. XFX uses the 6600 chipset to make their own card and these cards have their own specs.
    Check the XFX specs on the XFX's official website

XFX 6600 GT AGP Specifications

Copy-Pasted for your reference
    Performance:
    Graphics Core: 256-bit
    Memory Interface: 128-bit
    Memory Data Rate: 1000 MHz
    RAMDACs: 400 MHz
    So the card is clearly clocked at 1000MHz. And yes, you are right there is no lite version. The default should be at 1GHz

Umm Nvidia's reference 6600GT was to b clocked @ 900Mhz to balance the price since the agp version was to have the HSI chip. However addin board makers like xfx and alike decided to clock it with faster memory i.e. 1Ghz the same as the pci-e ones. So funky is probably referring to the 900Mhz version being the "Lite" one. However XFX has this notorious ability to underclock their products and sell them a little lower than the competition to entice unsuspecting buyers.

So wud it be given on the cover whether its 900 or 1000? How can u know when buying?? I was plannin on buying a XFX 6600GT but was waiting 4 prices to stabalise. Which brand u think is the best??

How can u know when buying??
    No way to physically make out. Test the card using the programs mentioned in one of the posts above.

Which brand u think is the best??
    BFG without a doubt

Hmm, BFG is the best coz its overclocked, but then it is not available in India.

Then i suppose it wud be the XFX or MSI..

well the problem they did this with 6800GT as well.
    I can understand is 6600GT AGP being clocked slower. but what about 6800GT?
    It was originally AGP card and they still clocked it at 900Mhz.
    I dont know why they did this.
    Simply a bummer to me.
    I am lucky that my card is the one with proper 1000Mhz one and I got it for only 27.5K. At that time Gainward was not available and looks like gainward will be even hard to find now.
    So people are not left with many choices. Its gota be your luck.
    I had my doubts weather the end dealer is aware of this, but from what is posted here Prime knows about it and I guess they wont replace the card if its clocked slower. Real pitty.

Welcome back, everyone.

It's been a long wait getting back talking to you guys and ofcourse, for the card too

The XFX 6600 GT AGP cards were due to be available today but have been postponed to 21st Friday.

Also BBC (BigByte Corp.) have categorically stated that their product is clocked at 1GHz (after reading out from the specs manual )

When I informed them about the incident of the underclocked version, they seem surprised. Also they stated that whoever has purchased the card can clock it back to 1Ghz!

Now what if they sell me an "overclocked by BBC card"? :

So I asked them if would open the seal infront of me. They replied that all the boxes were opened by them beforehand to mark the cards for Warranty.

The question I want to ask the experienced guys is what happens to warranty if the dealer himself overclocks the card???????

Is there a way to determine the FACTORY DEFAULTS? Are the softwares listed capable finding this out?

Thanking you all in advance

taylor Guest
    If the dealer is knowledgible enough to Flash the BIOS of the card, then he cud OC the card without making a huge fuss about it.. Otherwise, the only other feasible way to OC the card wud be with the use of software.

Get the card, if it gives u artifacts, then u can claim for replacement!

If the dealer is knowledgible enough to Flash the BIOS of the card, then he cud OC the card without making a huge fuss about it
    Why would XFX, the company underclock these cards to 900Mhz in that case?
    What about overheating? Wouldn't this reduce the lifespan of the card? Is it certain that the card would produce artificats as soon as it is overclocked?

taylor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by topcat_garfield
    Why would XFX, the company underclock these cards to 900Mhz in that case?
    There are quite a few reasons for this. The main one being, cost. To keep the costs down the manufacturers use lower speed RAMs on some cards. hence the lower price on such cards.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_garfield
    What about overheating? Wouldn't this reduce the lifespan of the card? Is it certain that the card would produce artificats as soon as it is overclocked?
    Overheating happens mostly when there is no good ventilation inside the cabinet and when the components are stressed beyond their limits. As such even if u overclock ur card, there may NOT be any heating at all, too. This is beacause, normally, the RAM used is clocked at a speed lower than the maximum speed it supports.. Of course, overheating reduces the life of any component, but then again with good ventilation, u cud easily overcome the heat problem.

Again, it is not certain that a overclocked card WILL produce artifacts. Only when the components (GPU n RAM in this case) are over stressed does the card produce artifacts. Most of the time the GPU and the RAM can take a little bit of overclocking without generating much heat and run fine without giving u any artifacts too. And No two cards are the same too. U may get good results when u overclock a card, and may not with another of the same brand.

It also depends on the card, PCB, overall build quality.

Several 6800 do come with 2.2NS DDR ram. This corresponds to 909mhz. But in realty most of them wont do more than 800mhz.

There is a good chance that these under clocked cards might have slower memory and might not have the build quality like the others.

yep.
    And you cant tell if the card was overclocked or flashed previously.
    Its simply not possible at the moment. The best way to confirm is to remove the memory ramsink and see the chip marking but that voids the warranty.
    And WTF is BBC talking about.
    My dealer opened the sealed box in front of me and signed.

The one good thing that BBC told me however is that I can test my card to satisfaction at the PrimeAGBG Setup.

How would you guys recommend I go about my first testing on the dealer setup? What tests/How many/Which Software?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast