Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT Brands/Prices

Download Riva tuner first from www.guru3d.com and also stress test the card with 3d mark 2003 and HL2 and Doom3 demos. max out everything in the driver panel, select the highest resolution and note the results. For 3d mark 2003 use the default settings.

Riva Tuner will accurately tell you the speed of the GPU and the memory.

IMO avoid XFX and go for Leadtek or Gainward

Hi

I think one should avoid XFX cards...forums like nvnews.net are full of angry customers.....most complaining of overheating, lockups etc. I am trying to get a Gainward 6600 GT or 6800 NU....i contacted Mediatech on phone they said they have no Gainward Cards in stock now...maybe some would be available in Feb 1st week. Where in Mumbai can you get Leadtek cards....i heard they are pretty good!

dhiman

The Other Brands

Quote Originally Posted by dhiman
    i contacted Mediatech on phone they said they have no Gainward Cards in stock now...maybe some would be available in Feb 1st week. good!
    I know this thread is getting really long. But you ought to read it once again.
    Post #11: states MediaTech is no longer a distributor of Gainward.
    Where in Mumbai can you get Leadtek cards....i heard they are pretty
    Post #7: My agonizing experience with the defacto leadtek distributor in India. Besides this some other post in this thread also states that like XFX, some inferior leadtek underclocked cards are dumped in India

BTW, I spoke to Tirupati Ent. (Officially distributor of MSI in India)
    They don't have 6600 GT AGP cards in stock. But they are willing to procure it if I order about five cards. The price stated is a ridiculous 15K per card. FYI, MSI is cheaper than XFX the world over. Also they are pricing 6800 LE (does this card exists?) at 19.5K

My suggestion (based on everyones response here) is either IMPORT a BFG OC (typo correct thanks to stalker) card or buy XFX and add your cooler.
    Last edited by topcat_garfield; 18-01-2005 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_garfield
    Also they are pricing 6800 LE (does this card exists?) at 19.5K

Yes it does, it a regular 6800 but with only 8 pixcel pipelines. Its also clocked as a regular 6800 325/700 256bit.
    Its a pretty good card but its overpriced priced here. This card is better than a 6600 GT.
    If only it was around 15-16k it would be a good buy!

My suggestion (based on everyones response here) is either IMPORT a BFC OC card or buy XFX and add your cooler.
    You mean BFG!
    Last edited by stalkersoftware; 18-01-2005 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_garfield
    Dude, the NVidia site gives the specs for the reference card. XFX uses the 6600 chipset to make their own card and these cards have their own specs.
    Check the XFX specs on the XFX's official website

XFX 6600 GT AGP Specifications

Copy-Pasted for your reference

So the card is clearly clocked at 1000MHz. And yes, you are right there is no lite version. The default should be at 1GHz
    The cards based on 1000MHz are actually Factory overclocked (like BFG), they come with better copper based cooler, possibly to account for extra heat generated by HSI bridge@1000MHz running below GPU.See
    http://www.xfxforce.com/pinetechnotes/Fan%20Update.pdf

The card based on Nvidia Refrence cooler are to be clocked at 900MHz only(which were released earlier by XFX).
    Actually i would rather say, the cards at 900Mhz are better, 'cause they have less heatup issues, the new XFX's 1000Mhz cards, are causing lot of problems, 'cause the new cooler is not effective enough.
    So if BBC are selling cards at 900Mhz, they are actually giving you a better deal.

XFX changed their cooler design.
    Instead of a blue box with the dog logo, now you get a cheap looking chrome plated plastic grilled hs/fan combo.

The box style was better, it has special wind channels to vent out hot air and the heatsink covered the memory chips as well.

My BFG OC came with the boxed hs/fan combo, hence it can be at 525/1050 out of the box without any heating (~58-60 load) + the life time warranty fully intact (meaning even if the card fails 4 years from now, you are eligible for a free card of the same value from BFG, basically afree upgrade).

But rumours are even BFG changed to a similar barebones hs/fan combo even for the OC's! And they are heating up as well unsurprisingly.

Wish these people stuck to the reference design by nvidia which has the boxed setup.
    Last edited by saumilsingh; 18-01-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Gainward Cards

I contacted Mediatech on phone they said they have no Gainward Cards in stock now
    Suprise, Suprise, Suprise. I rechecked with MediaTech and they said they would also be importing the Gainward 6600 GT AGP too. Expected by 1st Week of Feb.

I would rather be skeptical about the date as they haven't set a price to their cards yet. They also refused to take an advance payment for a pre-order

Gainward is expensive world over and with MSI having stated a price of 15.5K, wonder how much would the Gainward cards cost (even the non GLH versions). I don't expect the plain Gainward card to cost less than 14K. Anything less than that, it would be a great price.

If anyone has any further news on the pricing, please keep us updated.

More News

Post #11: states MediaTech is no longer a distributor of Gainward.
    I know and have read it...but its always better to verify facts for yourself

My agonizing experience with the defacto leadtek distributor in India. Besides this some other post in this thread also states that like XFX, some inferior leadtek underclocked cards are dumped in India
    Your experience is agonizing but then its a practical situation.....most if not all distributors atleast in india behave similarly...sometimes there are genuine problems like shipping delays, custom clearance problem etc...but then patience pays

I have not read about
    leadtek underclocked cards are dumped in Ind
    ...atleast none of the forums i refer to including nvnews.net....most ppl consider the brand and the card quite trustworthy.

I have contacted Media Networks...leadtek card might be available in last week of January....but there again Distributors and their promises.....you see

Rightly said my friend, there are distributors and endless promises. Let's see how things work out. BTW, I am sure we both need the best 6600GT card that's available here. IF you plan on buying soon, then you can add me to your list of buyers and check if the distributor is willing to give any discounts Just keep me updated on the prices and stock

Anybody else would like to team up?

I bought the XFX 6600GT in the last week of December. Seeing the prices being quoted here, it seems I got it at a bit of a premium for Rs.14,600. But it is the one with the Blue PCB and 1000MHz memory clock.
    Right from the second day, I have had it overclocked to 570/1.15GHz, and it has been rock solid in all benchmarks and games with NO artifacts. It would go to 585/1.17 but it gave minor artifacts in 3dmark 2005 once, and although those artifacts never recurred, I chose to go for long term stability and hence keep it at 570/1.15.
    I think XFX is now becoming a prominent partner for Nvidia, and it no longer is synonymous with low quality cards. Infact most online reviews show it overclocking much better than the likes of MSI and BFG.

edit: I'm talking about the AGP version of course...

Just a passing thought.

Forget buying a nvidia 6600gt agp card . Although the performance is too good....the indian market really sucks.

I went all the way from bangalore to bbay to get xfx 6600gt agp card...but didnt get it any where in lamington road..noone had it....was a very frustrating experience....even other dealers outside lamington road said they had the card when contacted on phone but when you actually go there no one had it.

Pretty bad for a city where we have so many gamers ready to buy it.
    Well pci e express cards were there but amd guyz cant use it on their agp mobos.

I had to adjust with a gigabyte 9600 pro. wonder how much performance difference will be there compared to 6600gt.

Adios
    Smile and the world smiles with you...Sleep and u sleep alone

^^ Huge, you should have bought a 9800 pro instead

Yup... A 9800 pro would have been a much much better option. The 6600GT is something like 3 times as fast as a 9600 pro. Frankly anything below a 9800 pro will last not more than 6 months in latest games before getting outdated.
    Athlon 64 3000+, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 1GB DDR400, BBA 9800 Pro, WD Raptor 36GB, 160 GB 'Cuda SATA, NEC ND-3500A, SB Audigy LS, Altec Lansing 251.
    Housed in a Wavemaster Silver.

ya...i knew that.....but the agony was even 9800 wasnt easily available...just in one shop where it was for 15500...so was easy decision not to buy that one...was a 9800 xt 256 mb i guess...will try to use this card now for a year or so now with my new amd64 rig

the day i get really frustrated....hmmmm.....dunno what i'll do to my system. :-)

enjoy
    draz
    Smile and the world smiles with you...Sleep and u sleep alone

15.5K for a 9800XT is not really a bad price. You could have gone for it. How much did you get the 9600 pro for?
    Athlon 64 3000+, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 1GB DDR400, BBA 9800 Pro, WD Raptor 36GB, 160 GB 'Cuda SATA, NEC ND-3500A, SB Audigy LS, Altec Lansing 251.
    Housed in a Wavemaster Silver.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast