Thread: Asus R9 280x black screen issue

Asus R9 280x black screen issue

I recently purchased Asus R9 280X graphics card. Previously I was using the Nvidia card, so I first uninstalled its driver. After that I inserted the new video card and tured on the computer. But the motherboard display screen was showing up error code "5A" and then the screen will go black. All the fans are still spinning but nothing is displayed on the screen. When I put the old card again then everything works fine. So, what is the problem with this new card? Any ideas

Re: Asus R9 280x black screen issue

What is the technical specifications of your computer? How much Power Supply watt do you use in your pc? Can you try to clear the CMOS first with the old graphics card connected on the motherboard? If you can enter BIOS screen then can you try to disconnect both usb device and also try to disconnect all Sata drives. It might be possible that you need to turn off the onboard graphics on your motherboard, if you have any, by simply going into the BIOS menu of your computer.

I hope that you hadnt removed the jumper from the CLR CMOS jumper, but if you have then turn off your motherboard and put it back again. You should not remove things from the motherboard just to make some sort of space. After doing this can you see whether the CPU fan is spinning when you are turning on the mobo? Use the old video card to access the BIOS if the new video card is not working. After that check if there is any newer version of BIOS available for your motherboard and install it.

There was a guy who had similar issues with the same graphics card but it was from a different brand. To fix his issue he turned up the VCCSA voltage to 1.1-1.3. You can try to test the same on your setup and see if that helps. What VCCSA does is that it feeds the integrated memory controller and the PCIE controller. I dont know if it will help you out, but still you can give it a try. Also try to test the R9 280X on a different board and check if there isnt any fault with the graphics card itself.