Thread: What is ULPS and how it affects gaming performance on AMD Crossfire

What is ULPS and how it affects gaming performance on AMD Crossfire

I am trying to optimize my system by updating to latest drivers and changing a bit internal settings. I found that by turning of ULPS it will be more better to get stable gaming output on CrossFire. I cannot see this in the settings. What is this thing and how it affect the overall output. I am playing games like Crysis. And it works well but a few time I can feel the lag in between.

Re: What is ULPS and how it affects gaming performance on AMD Crossfire

What you find after updating the drivers. Are the game still lagging. If yes then you have to see that your gpu is not heating up. If it is then you have to simply clean the fan or check that your cpu case have enough ventilation. It is bit common with dual gpu that you have a very tight space inside that cause heating problem. And that result in game lags. Install HWMonitor and see what you get in that.

ULPS in something like power saver. It is the energy saver feature of amd graphic card. I am not really sure about this but I had found this long back on a forum. If this is on then there are chances that you wont get maximum output. You can disable this through the settings. I do not remember where the option to turn this thing off is provided. Just go in the control center and one by one check in everything.

ULPS comes in many gpu. It helps you to save a bit power. But it does not works in all game. If the game has a power saver support then it will work. You can permanently disable that from windows registry. You have to type regedit in Start > Run box and there you have to search for EnableUlps entry key. Just right click on the same and then modify the value to 0. So that it stopped permanently.

If you want to stop that instantly then you can download and install ULPS Configuration Utility. It is free and it will give you appropriate output. Just download and run the utility it will disable that thing. And then try to play the games back again. After turning it on I am quiet sure enough you will get amazing screen output and there will be a less problem with games maximum performance.