Thread: Fixing a completely dead gpu by changing fan

Fixing a completely dead gpu by changing fan

My friend gave me his old gpu. It was working but it stopped in between. After connecting it to my pc it turned on for a while. I installed Saint Rows on my pc which worked for around 15 mins. I had also kept a gpu temp monitoring tool on where I found the gpu is just getting overheated. That is because of fan. After playing the game for few while the gpu stopped working. It is not giving out any display. Is there a possible option available to fix it back.

Re: Fixing a completely dead gpu by changing fan

I do not think that will really work. You can simply carry the card to a repair center which can fix it. I will not recommend you to go for a repair by your own self. That will be more complicated.

I had done the same thing long back before. In my case the card work. I was having a Ati Radeon 5450 gpu. It was almost a year old. It stopped working in between. But when I start my pc back after 30 to 40 mins it starts working back. The issue lies with overheating. There is a single fan available on the gpu in between. It was not moving at all. I found that when I opened the cause. Fortunately I found a replacement fan in a nearby shop. I removed it and fixed the new one with added heat sink over it. This kept the gpu much more cooler. But it worked only around 2 month and again the same problem appear. So it looks there is no permanent solution available through which youc an repair a dead graphic card. The best thing you can do is carry the gpu to a nearest service center. Show the card to them and you will get final information whether it is going to work or not. Instead of repairing a old one investing on a new card is more better choice. Today we are having more powerful cards in the market which are loaded with better features and 3d support also.

Try to clean the gpu chip and remove dust from it. You can re-fix the fan and apply a good quality thermal paste on the same. I think that will be more than enough to fix the issue. If your card is not permanently dead it might work.

I had seen a number of threads based on the same kind of query. A gpu might work back if it is not damage due to overheating. There are sensitive parts on the graphic card which simply burn off when it is heated. It is a major bug and you cannot resolve it so easily. Unless and until there is serious hardware problem you might be able to use it again and again. Cleaning is a good option. There can be lots of dust inside near the fan. You can open the case and clean it. Apply a thermal paste and connect it back again. Another common cause of gpu failure is poor power support. It is essential that your system must have a good psu inorder to full fill your gpu's power requirement. A number of people fail to notice the same due to which you face such problem. Most probably the card will be permanently dead. So just giving a try is not a bad idea. And repairing is also not possible on that.