Go Back   TechArena Community > Hardware > Monitor & Video Cards
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-07-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

I have a Sony Vaio laptop with Win 7 pro 64.

It has now an NVidia GeForce GT 425M driver. This is what is listed in Device Manager.

Recently I learned that NVidia has issued updates for drivers v320 and v314.
I am wondering if I need these drivers.

I do not play video games but I want my laptop to be optimized for video editing.

Should I download these latest drivers and if so, which one?

Which driver would be best for the use I wish to put them?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-07-2013
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 973
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Actually, the NVidia GeForce GT 425M in your laptop is not a driver but an onboard GPU or graphics card on your system. And I have checked that the latest drivers available for your GPU is GeForce 320.49 Driver - WHQL that you can download it from this link - http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63462
__________________
Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockson View Post
....I have checked that the latest drivers available for your GPU is GeForce 320.49 Driver - WHQL....
thank you for this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-08-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockson View Post
Actually, the NVidia GeForce GT 425M in your laptop is not a driver but an onboard GPU or graphics card on your system. And I have checked that the latest drivers available for your GPU is GeForce 320.49 Driver - WHQL ...
I have downloaded the driver.

Should I disable or delete the current driver?

Or should I just install this and it will automatically replace the driver already installed?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-08-2013
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 973
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctimonious-saliva View Post
I have downloaded the driver.

Should I disable or delete the current driver?

Or should I just install this and it will automatically replace the driver already installed?
You will need to uninstall the previous graphics driver from your system completely. So, to wipe it out you can download a software called Revo uninstaller and use its trial version to remove all the remains of the old graphics driver. After that you can download the driver from the link that I have provided in my previous post.
__________________
Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22-08-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockson View Post
You will need to uninstall the previous graphics driver from your system completely. So, to wipe it out you can download a software called Revo uninstaller and use its trial version to remove all the remains of the old graphics driver. After that you can download the driver from the link that I have provided in my previous post.
I have already downloaded the driver but not run it.

When I go into Device Manager, then to Display Adapter then to GeForce driver, then to Driver details, it lists many files.

Which of these is the driver to be removed?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-08-2013
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 973
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctimonious-saliva View Post
I have already downloaded the driver but not run it.

When I go into Device Manager, then to Display Adapter then to GeForce driver, then to Driver details, it lists many files.

Which of these is the driver to be removed?
You dont have to go to Device Manager and remove the old drivers. Simply go to Control Panel and then remove everything that is related to Nvidia and uninstall it. After that restart your computer and install Revo uninstaller and find any traces left for nvidia driver and remove them as well. Then restart your computer and now install the latest graphics driver that you have downloaded.
__________________
Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 24-08-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockson View Post
You dont have to go to Device Manager and remove the old drivers. Simply go to Control Panel and then remove everything that is related to Nvidia and uninstall it. After that restart your computer and install Revo uninstaller and find any traces left for nvidia driver and remove them as well. Then restart your computer and now install the latest graphics driver that you have downloaded.
I don't think this method will work because Revo looks for the name of the program in its own programs list. Then from this it finds the traces in the registry etc. If the basic program is removed from the programs lists, Revo cannot find it in the first place and cannot be directed to remove the trace leftover files.

This why I usually start with Revo. In this case I would tell Revo to do the complete uninstall.

I want to be sure of the right method, because if I mess up with nVidia it will do a lot of damage.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26-08-2013
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 973
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Well, I use a Radeon Graphics card and to uninstall its driver I usually remove it first from the Control Panel and then go to its installed location that is the Windows directory and then delete all the AMD folder from their as well. After that I empty the recycle bin and then run Revo once again to check if any leftovers of this graphics driver are still there. Sometime some files related to Amd are shown and somtime it doesnt show. So after deleting it, I restart my computer and then install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. This way the new graphics driver gets installed without any issue.
__________________
Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-09-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockson View Post
Well, I use a Radeon Graphics card and to uninstall its driver I usually remove it first from the Control Panel and then go to its installed location that is the Windows directory and then delete all the AMD folder from their as well. After that I empty the recycle bin and then run Revo once again to check if any leftovers of this graphics driver are still there. Sometime some files related to Amd are shown and somtime it doesnt show. So after deleting it, I restart my computer and then install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website. This way the new graphics driver gets installed without any issue.
I have several nvidia driver icons in Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features

one says "NVIDIA drivers
the next says NVIDIA graphics driver 266.72
a third is labeled NVIDIA hd audio driver 1.3.18.0
the fourth is named NVIDIA PhysX system software 9.10.0514


Revo Uninstaller is not recognizing any NVIDIA programs or drivers but they are visible in windows Programs and Features.


After making some adjustments in Revo "Options" I was able to get the PhysX program to show. I don't know if that is what I want to uninstall however.

I am guessing that I should first uninstall the graphics driver by going into Device Manager then reinstall the new driver I have already downloaded.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-09-2013
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 973
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Your call, you can uninstall the graphics driver from the device manager if too if you would like and then delete all the folders that are related to Nvidia in your C: drive, where the OS is installed and then do a reboot. After that your pc might prompt you that a new hardware is found, simply install the latest version of the graphics driver and you are good to go on.
__________________
Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-09-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 21
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockson View Post
Your call, you can uninstall the graphics driver from the device manager if too if you would like and then delete all the folders that are related to Nvidia in your C: drive, where the OS is installed and then do a reboot. After that your pc might prompt you that a new hardware is found, simply install the latest version of the graphics driver and you are good to go on. :biggrin:
I deleted the display driver from device manager. There was also a box asking if I wanted to delete the driive software for this device. so I assumed these you can delete the driver and delete the driver software - two separate operations.

I also checked this box.

But I did not go to C drive and delete the nVidia folder.

Then I restarted and tried to install the driver software from nVidia, but it said it could not install because the software was incompatible.

I then went to a restore point a few days earlier and so that the "driver software" would be restored. I then deleted the driver again and tried to install the driver from nVidia but I got the same answer.

So I reinstalled the driver software from Sony.

My question is whether I should redo the entire operation and delete the entire nVidia folder in C drive then try to install the driver from nVidia. I have a hunch that this might not be a good idea because there might be much more software there than just the driver, but you may know better.

The reason I have been doing this is to make my video run smoother and not stopping every few minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-09-2013
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,328
Re: Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?

You are not supposed to delete the drivers but you should uninstall the drivers from the Add and Remove area. After that go to this website http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63462 and there is a tab at the left side that says "Auto Detect your GPU", just click on it. After sometime you will be presented with the latest graphics driver for your card.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Hardware > Monitor & Video Cards
Tags: , , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Do I need GeForce v320 or v314?"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GeForce GTX 680 vs GeForce GTX 580 3GB Classified vs Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 Jetha-Lal Monitor & Video Cards 4 12-04-2012 06:30 AM
Thermaltake Announces the ISGC-V320 VGA Cooler Gustak Overclocking & Computer Modification 2 04-07-2009 11:12 AM
Download NVIDIA GeForce Driver 180.87 and 180.88 BETA (GeForce GTX 295 Support Added) Eldon Monitor & Video Cards 3 25-12-2008 05:10 PM
nvidia GeForce FX 5200 card driver incompatible with GeForce 7600GS ?? - 4 monitors Sarantsatsr Vista Setup and Install 1 05-04-2007 06:26 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:03 PM.