Thread: HD 7870 XT Crashing with black screen

HD 7870 XT Crashing with black screen

I recently got this HD 7870 XT Video card. I was previously having a old Geforce Video Card in my pc so, I took it out and then replaced it with the HD 7870 XT and then removed every drivers and software related to Nvidia and after succesfully removal, I restarted the computer and installed the new Catalyst Control Center‎ 13.1. After installing the driver I started doing some video editing but soon after 20 minutes I got the first black screen and the pc crashed. Even after mutiple attempts I was getting the black screen everytime with a crash. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this problem?
    Computers. What I do for a living and fun. And if you PM me, I'll have to charge you. So, let's keep the questions and answers in the forums/thread so others can learn as well.

Re: HD 7870 XT Crashing with black screen

Have you overclocked the card by any chance? Can you check the temperature of the card while letting the game running in the background, how high does it go? Is it a new graphics card or an old one? If it is old, then did you make sure that there are not any dust accumulated near its fan or so?

I checked the temperature with MSI afterburner and it was at 72 and then it crashed. Even while not using the afterburner, every game or any editing that I do, will simply crash the computer. I even tried to install older drivers but to no avail. But when I went inside the CCC and changed the core clock to 890mhz, I was able to ply games and even edit video without the black screen or crashing. Hope that it stays stable at this setting.
    Computers. What I do for a living and fun. And if you PM me, I'll have to charge you. So, let's keep the questions and answers in the forums/thread so others can learn as well.

Even I was getting the same black screen crash with my sapphire 7870 card. It will usually happen if I am plying some high end games like Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, etc; many times. However, this crash wouldnt happen when playing low end games and I even get decent FPS on maximum settings. Normally, when the crash occurs, then the screen goes black and the monitor will tell me that there is no signal. Whenever this happens, I shut down my computer and then after a while turn it back again without any problems and it will not give any error message as well. I have checked that the card is not getting overheated and have also installed the latest drivers. I tried the above settings but now the crashing occurs fewer times. So if anyone has any idea to get rid of this problem completely, it would be appreciated.