Thread: Games freeze with EVGA GTX 680

Games freeze with EVGA GTX 680

I have installed EVGA GTX 680 in my system recently and since installing it whenever I am playing games like Battlefield 3, prototype 2 than they run fine for some minutes and gets freeze in between. I don’t have any option to play them rather than killing their process from task manager. What might be the issue in my case?? Have I picked up a bad card????

Re: Games freeze with EVGA GTX 680

Before coming to that point I want to know if you have this issue just with other games or while playing movies as well??? Since you have mentioned that you have installed your new video card recently, have you updated its driver?? I mean have you installed the latest available?? If not than install the latest one form its official site and see if it starts working fine after that.

Just make sure that you are making clean installation of driver rather than updating it over the current one. You can use an uninstaller like driver sweeper for uninstalling current drivers and install latest ones afterwards.

Follow below pattern for uninstalling and reinstalling graphic driver:
    Uninstall current one using driver sweeper or some other uninstaller you want
    Reboot your system
    Download and install latest driver
    Reboot your system again
    I follow the same procedure and I haven’t faced any issue because of drivers by now. I think a clean installation is must while installing any driver.

No I don’t have any issue while playing movies. I have this freezing issue just with games. To be at the safer side I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling those games as well but that dint made any difference in my case.
    I had made clean installation of latest graphic card driver the day I installed the card, I don’t think this is due to driver issue. It seems as if there is something wrong with the card, I am not so sure about it as it is very new. Is there any other thing that I need to check out???

I guess your card might be getting overheated while gaming. Have you inspected the temperature of your card when your game freezes?? I can’t think of any other possible cause of this issue. Juts inspect the temp of your card and let me know so that I can have better idea of your case.

My card is not getting overheated and I have inspected its temperature while playing game. Even I had thought it to be because of overheating but after going through EVGA Precision tool I found its temperature to be between 70 and 80 degree. Isn’t that a normal temp???
    I have tried increasing the fan speed to 100 percent but I don’t see it making much difference. Those games will still freeze. I have tried playing them on lower resolution but no luck yet.

Are you carrying out any kind of overclocking??? If yes then stop it for a while and run the card at its stock speed. In case that doesn't make any difference than try using some other card, there are possibilities that there might be something wrong with your card.

I am not carrying out any overclocking in my system and all components are running at their stock speed. I don’t have much idea about overclocking and I haven’t tried it by now. I have chatted about this issue with my friends and they have suggested me to do a bit of overclocking to check out its stability but I don’t want to take any risk as it is new. Instead of trying all that, Ill better get my card checked.

However if there’s any other test that I can carry out without any risk than please let me know else Ill return it and I’ll get a new one. Currently i am not having another working video card to test my system but i have asked my friend to get his card tomorrow for further testing.