Thread: Overheating problem of EVGA GTX 660 TI

Overheating problem of EVGA GTX 660 TI

I purchased an EVGA GTX 660 TI one week back and installed it in my computer. After using it for one week, I realized that it is actually overheating. After playing game on it for two hours, some green patches which look like static starts appearing on the screen. After two to three minutes, the game crashes and a notification that Nvidia drivers have crashed appears. I opened the CPU cabinet to check what the problem can be and a lot of heat was generated in the area where the graphic card is attached. Can someone tell me what this problem can be?

Re: Overheating problem of EVGA GTX 660 TI

Such problem occur when lot of dust gets accumulated on the graphic card or maybe the cooling fans on it. Due to the accumulated dust the heat generated in the graphic card doesn’t get released in the air nearby. It just gets accumulating in that region leading to the overheating of the graphic card and the further problems related to it. But since you mentioned that you brought your EVGA GTX 660 TI graphic card just a week ago, I don’t think that this dust could be causing any problem. But still it is worth to clean the graphic card once, just to be sure.

I suggest that you check the connections of the graphic card with the motherboard and monitor properly. It is the least chance that connection between monitor and the graphic card must be causing these problems, but there can be chances that connection between the motherboard and the graphic card must not be proper. Take out the graphic card. Clean its connecting points with a clean and dry cloth and attach it back on the motherboard. Also check if no other wire or part of peripheral is interfering with the graphic card. I am sure that the connection between the motherboard and the graphic card must be improper.

Do you stay in the region where the ambient temperature of the atmosphere around you is hot? If yes then I think that the heat in the atmosphere must be playing its role in the working of your graphic card. I suggest that you add more cooling fans or heatsinks to your computer. The existing cooling fans and heat sinks are not enough to cool the heat in your graphic card properly. You can either buy some bigger sized and more powerful cooling fans or add some extra in the current case. You can also try using the liquid cooling system as it provides a good cooling. You can even try applying the thermal cooling paste on your graphic card to see if it provides some cooling.

Make sure that the EVGA GTX 660 TI graphics card that you are using is not an overclocked one. If you overclock the graphic card, it is obvious that it will start generating a large amount of heat. Are you sure that you haven’t overclocked it. Also there are pre-overclocked versions for the graphic cards available in market, so make sure that the graphic card that you have purchased was not overclocked. If yes, then either you can get it exchanged for the normal version of EVGA GTX 660 TI or get some extra cooling fans to maintain the temperature.

Check the power supply in your computer. Is it old and is it able to provide enough power to the graphic card. Many times it happens that graphic card doesn’t get enough power supply from the PSU and thus due to the lack of power, such problems start in the graphic card. This can also be reason for this problem. You can change and use a more powerful PSU for EVGA GTX 660 TI. Also before buying this graphic card, you should have asked the vendor or technician if the current PSU is capable of providing required amount of power to EVGA GTX 660 TI or not. Also if clean the PSU if possible and see if the problems occur or not.

It can be least chances of solving the problem of overheating EVGA GTX 660 TI, but you can give it a try. You can try changing the graphic drivers that this graphic card is using. I know this might sound foolish, but yes, graphic drivers are also responsible for maintaining the working of the graphic card. Other things that can be responsible for the overheating of the graphic card can be the firmware in it. You can try upgrading or downgrading the firmware to see if the problem exists in which art, is it related to the hardware or some firmware or graphic driver.

If the problem of EVGA GTX 660 TI overheating persists for longer time, I suggest that you get the graphic card exchanged or RMA, because if the problem continues, then you will never be able to work. In least cases, it happens that hardware gets damaged during transportation. If this is the case, then you will surely get RMA for this EVGA GTX 660 TI. You will need to present the bill and receipts which serve the proof of your purchase and I am sure that your problem will be solved.