Thread: HD 7770 error "Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered"

HD 7770 error "Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered"

I am having two AMD HD 7770 graphic cards in my computer connected using CrossFire. Whenever I start any software that needs to use these graphic cards, for example, games, image editing softwares and so on, the screen goes black for few seconds. When it comes back, I get an error message saying, "Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered". Can someone tell me why this is happening?

Re: HD 7770 error "Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered"

Just by reading the description, I cannot tell you anything about this problem. But my closest guess to the reason must be the graphic drivers that are being used in your computer. Either they must be old or they must not be compatible with your graphic cards.

I suggest you to try different version of graphic drivers. If this doesn’t solve the problem, check the connections of the graphic cards. Check if the graphic cards are connected properly to the motherboard. Also check if the CrossFire connection between the graphic cards is proper or not. I think that connection must be the problem for sure. Just remove the graphic cards and insert them again properly.

Re: HD 7770 error "Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered"

Was any of the two graphic cards connected in CrossFire overclocked? If the one graphic cad is overclocked and other is not, then such problems can occur. Due to overclocking, the intake of resources of one graphic card will be higher than other. Due to this mismanagement in intake of resources, the activity of the graphic cards must have been disturbed.

Also if a single graphic card is overclocked than the output of both the graphic cads will differ. This must also be a reason for disturbance in output of the graphic cards leading to crashes. I think that one graphic card is making other unstable leading to crashes.

Does the problem of the graphic card making the screen black and giving you error happen during the start of PC or after some time? What I am trying to find out is that if this is a case of over-heating or not. If the black screen appears after a long time, then it can be because of excessive heat forming in the graphic cards.

You will need to add extra cooling devices in your computer which will help keep the temperature of the graphic cards low.

I suggest you to run the graphics card individually. Maybe only one out of the two graphics card has a problem and that is why it is screwing up the performance of the other graphic card. If you run a single graphic card at a time, you might find which graphic card is causing the problem. If there is problem in just a single graphic card, then you will be able find it out easily and get it repaired from the service centre. I think that you should try this first before jumping to any conclusions. You can even RMA the faulty graphic card if you have purchased it recently.