Thread: Solve overheating problem of Zotac GTX 460 GPU

Solve overheating problem of Zotac GTX 460 GPU

I have a Zotac GTX 460 graphic card with me installed in my computer. I brought it three days ago and I have been using it since then. The problem is that whenever I start my computer and run it, the display goes after an hour or so. It doesn’t come back for hours and after it when I start the computer it again goes off after an hour. I removed the graphic card and ran on the processor’s graphics and nothing happened. I checked and found that Zotac GTX 460 was overheating. Can someone tell me how to solve this problem?

Re: Solve overheating problem of Zotac GTX 460 GPU

The first thing you should investigate about is that of cause of overheating. For example, if the airflow is proper or not. Maybe the hot air being generated in the CPU cabinet is not escaping properly from your computer leading to problem of overheating. You can try running the computer with the side panels of the CPU cabinet open to see if the problem of the overheating occurs or not. Many times it happens that the internal peripherals are so placed that graphic card gets trapped between other peripherals. This leads to creation of excess heat in that area leading to problems like overheating.

I will suggest that you get another cooling fan for your computer and place it such that it faces the graphic card and cools the hot air coming from it. This will help you to keep the graphic card’s temperature at a decent level and thus saving the problem of overheating. Also if you have some extra heatsinks that you can attach near graphic card, it will be great as it will absorb the heat coming out of the graphic card. Also if your existing cooling fans have feature of changing the speed, Ill suggest you to turn them on to maximum possible.

Overheating of Zotac GTX 460 can be caused because of lack of power to it. See if your PSU in the computer is providing enough power to your graphic card or not. If not this too can lead to overheating as the graphic card tries to over perform according to the level of power it gets. If not, then you will need to change the PSU big enough that it supplies power to all the peripherals present in the computer.

If the region in which you live has high atmospheric temperature, then chances of graphic card overheating increases. So if this is the case with your graphic card, then you can use the water cooling system. You can concentrate the cooling pipes around the graphic card, so the cooling liquid concentrates on the hot air being created around the graphic card. I think that this will be the best method to cool down the graphic card and stop it from crashing. You can try if it fits in your budgets as the water cooling devices are usually costly.

Make sure that Zotac GTX 460 you brought wasn’t overclocked when out of the box. Many graphic cards come in overclocked version as well as normal version. Maybe you purchased the overclocked version which needs high amount of power and also generates lot of heat. You can ask the vendor or send the details of purchase to the manufacturer to know if the Zotac GTX 460 you brought is overclocked or not. If it is overclocked you can get it downclocked so that the problem of overheating is solved. You can also get the graphic card RMA to get it replaced for another properly working graphic card.

I’d say that you can add an extra layer of thermal paste on the covering of the graphic card. This paste will absorb the heat created in the graphic card and keep your graphic card’s temperature down. I think this will help you. See to it that while applying the thermal paste on the graphic card, you don’t leave any air bubbles in the layer which can cause unexpected harm to your computer. Spread it evenly across the surface using the razor blade.
    One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.