Thread: Nvidia GT 650M is getting overheated

Nvidia GT 650M is getting overheated

My laptop is having Nvidia GT 650M and I have bought it a month ago, today I tried playing Max Payne 3 and I am getting 40-50 fps but it’s not constant. It gets dropped to 10 fps after some seconds and that’s very irritating. I have to wait after every minute for getting the fps raised back to 40-50 fps. I have also found that my video card gets overheated because of this low and high fps loop. I don’t know if there is something wrong with the game or the laptop itself. Is there anything I can do about it? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: Nvidia GT 650M is getting overheated

I wanted to know if you are facing this fps drop down issue just with Max Payne 3 or you are facing same with other games as well. If it is just max Payne 3 then there might be something wrong with the game. If you are facing it with other games then you can try out things like reinstalling driver or installing latest driver for your Nvidia GT 650M. You can also try running game at lowest possible settings and check out if that’s making any difference in fps. Since you have mentioned that there is an overheating issue as well then you can try running fan at high and make sure that there is proper ventilation. You should check out if there is anything blocking air vents.

I wanted to know if you are running any application running in background while you are gaming. If possible try closing all the application that might be running and see if that’s helping. I also wanted to know if you are overclocking your card or processor. If yes then better run it at stock. I have come across people who have faced overheating issue with their laptop when overheating. As mentioned above you can try changing game settings such as resolution, texture, antialising etc. Just check it out and let me know if any of the mentioned solution is making any difference in your case.

I don’t think the issue is just with Max Payne 3, I have faced fps drop down issue with other latest games like gta IV and bf3 but I did not had overheating issue with them. Currently I am not having those games as I formatted my laptop a week ago. I have checked out the ventilation of the laptop and the fan appears to be running fine I don’t think any dust or something like that blocking air vents. I have tried updating the driver of GT 650M to the latest but that didn’t made any difference, I have tried out uninstalling and reinstalling latest driver for my card several times but not avail. The issue is still the same, my laptop works fine when I am using for any other task rather than gaming. The overheating issue occurs only while I am gaming, sometimes if I don’t keep an eye on the temperature and continue my gaming then my laptop turns off suddenly without any kind of error or prompts. I don’t have problem in getting my laptop checked and repaired as it is still under warranty but I have kept that as my last option because it might take time. I use my laptop daily and it’s hard to spend a day without with as per my job perspective. Anyways I will like to know if there anything else that I need to check out to find out the cause of the issue?

Since basic trouble shooting steps are not making any difference in your case I think getting it checked from service center will be a better idea. As for further workaround you can open up your laptop and try applying thermal paste to it, if it is just because of improper cooling than applying thermal paste to card might help but if there is something wrong with the card itself then it won’t make much difference. If you don’t mind opening your laptop and inspecting the card then go for it else get it checked.

See if you are not overclocking your gpu and still facing the overheating and fps drop down issue then there is surely something wrong with the card. I don’t think opening it up and applying thermal compound yourself will be a better idea rather handle it to the service center people and let them fix it for you. That’s what warranty is for, I am not sure but warranty of your laptop your might get voided if you will open it up yourself.