Thread: Gray screen with stripes using Xfx 6950 gpu

Gray screen with stripes using Xfx 6950 gpu

I am having Radeon HD 6950 in my system and things were working fine by now, I did not had a single issue with it. Don’t know what went wrong with it suddenly and from some days I am encountering Gray screen with stripes while playing games or carrying out other task. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest driver for it from the AMD site but that doesn’t seem to be making any difference. Is there anything I can try out to fix this??

Re: Gray screen with stripes using Xfx 6950 gpu

Gray screen with stripes sounds familiar but there can be different cause of the same, just make sure that there is no symptoms of overheating, check out the connection that you have made to the monitor, try reseating the card.

These are some basic trouble shooting that one should try out in such conditions. If they don’t help then let me know I will suggest you some other possible solution for fixing the issue.

No I don’t think this is because of overheating, I don’t see any symptom of overheating. I get gray screen with stripes even when the temperature of the card is normal say below 59 degree and so. I did not had any such issue before, I have been using the card from a couple of month but I never encountered this issue. it all started suddenly and has started occurring frequently. I have inspected the connection that I have made to the monitor and have unplugged and plugged the DVI cable as well but no help. Can this be an issue with the card itself? Is it some kind of symptom for card turning faulty? Any ideas?

I don’t think that there might be something wrong with the card but I think that it is somewhere because of overheating or overclocking. I have come across people who have faced such issues after overclocking their system and downclocking the same had helped them out. So I wanted to know if even you have overclocked your system?

No I am not, all the components in my system are running at their stock speeds and I have not changed anything. I have tried checking out for fix regarding this issue over the web and have found that this can be a cable issue as well, so I have changed the dvi cable running to the monitor with hdmi cable but I don’t see any difference. I am still getting gray screen with stripes over the screen frequently. I have also tried out some other suggested solutions like updating the bios, installing different version of drivers, using other psu but no luck yet. Don’t know why but as none of the solutions are working out for me I am getting a feeling that the card has turned faulty. What do you think guys? Are there any other trouble shooting methods that I can try out further or I should better get the card checked form where I have bought?

You can very well get the card checked but before that if you have another working system then check out the card yourself. If you get the same gray screen with stripes in other system as well then your card might have turned faulty. If it works then you can try testing your system with some other monitor to find out if there is something wrong with the monitor. Other than this you can also test out some other card in your system to make sure that there is nothing wrong with it. Just try out these things and you surely come know what’s wrong.

My Radeon HD 6950 is the culprit guys I don’t know how come it has turned faulty just after 4 months. I tested out the card in my friends system and encountered same gray screen with stripes there as well. I’ll get it replaced as soon as well and will hope that its replacement lasts long.