Thread: Unable to switch boot MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk in SLI

Unable to switch boot MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk in SLI

I am using two MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk in SLI to play games in high resolution and graphical details. It was working right for some days before it stopped working. The graphic cards are still under warranty so I am not much worried. But since I can’t spend all my time without any graphic card, I want to get all the problems sorted out as soon as possible. Actually when I remove the SLI Bridge from between them, both the graphic cards start working very well. But with SLI Bridge active, the graphic cards give blank screen with some beeping sound at the start-up. Can someone tell me what the problem can be?

Re: Unable to switch boot MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk in SLI

After reading your question, I am sure that there is some problem in the SLI Bridge that needs to be verified. The first thing I will suggest you to do is to disassemble both the graphic cards from the motherboard and also every connection between them.

Then clean them using a soft cloth and again reconnect them. Many times it happens that some dust or some unwanted matter gets stuck in the connections of the hardware to make it bad in performance. This can be the basic reason for your problem.

When connecting graphic cards in SLI, you should know that they are bound to generate a lot of heat. You must provide a good cooling so that this doesn’t happen. The two MSI GTX 560Ti Hawks that you are using in SLI must also be generating such heat that is stopping them from working properly. But if overheating is the problem, then the graphic cards would have started and then crashed while working, but as you mentioned that they fail to start and make a beeping sound, the problem seems different.

Take a magnifying glass and take a look over the circuits of these graphic cards. Maybe due to some heat, the connections must have broken to cause these problems.

When connecting graphic cards in SLI, you should know that they are bound to generate a lot of heat. You must provide a good cooling so that this doesn’t happen. The two MSI GTX 560Ti Hawks that you are using in SLI must also be generating such heat that is stopping them from working properly.
    I think that you are right, the two MSI GTX 560Ti Hawks must have generated heat to melt some soldering on the circuit of one of the graphic cards. Since the questioner has mentioned that when used individually, the graphic cards work properly, the damage must have been taken on the part where SLI Bridge is connected. I think that some soldering on the circuit must have melted. This can be found by checking the circuits thoroughly. If the problem is found, you can solder it back on your own and solve the problem. Also it is recommended that you add extra cooling fans or heatsinks to avoid such problems in future.

Soldering back the broken connection is a good solution but it is recommended that you seek help from professional as a minor mistake can lead to bigger problem that one at present. As you mentioned that your graphic cards are under warranty, soldering by yourself can lead to termination of the warranty. The manufacturers have special techniques and tools that help to solder circuits and wires properly. It is recommended that you take the graphic cards to the manufacturers service centre and get it done properly. Getting the soldering or troubleshooting of the MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk done from the manufacturer guarantees that the problem doesn’t get repeated in future.

You can send the pictures of the problematic graphic cards to the manufacturers via email. You can explain the problem and also send the pictures of the purchase bills, original box and the warranty card to the manufacturer. Since the MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk graphic cards are new and still under warranty, you can demand for RMA from the manufacturer. If the problem of your graphic card is genuine and caused because of graphic card itself, I am sure that the manufacturers will replace it with new ones.