Thread: Over 2 GB memory usage with EVGA GTX 680 when playing games

Over 2 GB memory usage with EVGA GTX 680 when playing games

It happens a lot while playing BattleField 3 when I play at max settings 2560x1600. The VRAM memory goes beyond 2GB which becomes quite shocking for me. As far as I know most of the people do not believe that the memory can go beyond such a level with 2560x1600 but the fact is that it is going in my case. Please guys do suggest me something. Is this the problem due to Battlefield 3 or it is the problem with the max settings at which I am playing. What should I do to control the memory usage?

re: Over 2 GB memory usage with EVGA GTX 680 when playing games

Hey there are people who encounters the memory usage of over 2GB at 2560x1600, they face this problem especially while playing BF3 and not with any other game. Do not think that others won’t believe you. They won’t believe you if you say memory go beyond 2GB while playing at 1920x1080p because at 1920x1080p the memory would really not show such problem. There are very rare cases where you will see the user complaining about the access memory usage with 1920x1080p instead with 2560x1600 6 out of 10 people get the memory issue mostly with BF3.

Re: Over 2 GB memory usage with EVGA GTX 680 when playing games

If asked me I would mainly doubt Battlefield 3 because I have noticed a lot that more than gamers doubting the resolution 2560x1600 they say that BF3 is causing the problem. And even I have found the same, after a lot research I found that with BF3 Vram leaks memory. Once I played BF3 just to see the memory difference. When I played other games everything was fine but when I tried BF 3 the results were not normal.

I mean to say that initially everything was going well and fine but later on after an hour of playing I found that the Vram was showing extra memory usage without any reason.
    Now there are few more conditions that you need to fulfill if you want to recreate the issue with the Vram. Firstly as said BF3 is the suitable game which is the main cause of everything? Then come the resolution, set the resolution to 2560x1600 and also the amount of time you played the game determines the fast memory usage in your Vram. The minimum amount of time you should play BF 3 at 2560x1600 should be 1 hour. After an hour of playing you will suddenly encounter the rise in the Vram usage.

There is an important note that I need mention here. Let me tell you that the rise in the video memory usage is completely independent of the resolution at which you play the game. So do not think that the problem is arrived due to that specified resolution at which you play the game i.e. 2560x1600. I would agree that the problem might be occurring due to BF3 but however I won’t agree with resolution that you have specified.

The best thing I would suggest you is to try playing the same game at the lowest resolution possible (min resolution at which you are allowed to play) and then check the Vram memory usage. I am sure the problem will still remain the same. I am not saying that the memory usage reading will be the same as with 2560x1600 but at least you won’t find much difference between the memory usage with 2560x1600 and with the lowest resolution. There will be a minor difference.

Until now I personally have observed such issue only with triple screen setup. I have never found any trouble or issue on a single screen even after I max out the settings. Until now my experience have went along smoothly with 1.5gb GTX 580 & 3gb GTX 580 Classified. Never found the Vram exceeding the normal range. As I said with triple screen the problem has mostly encountered in many cases. People do find the Vram memory usage exceeding with triple screen unless you are at 1080p screen setup.

This is what even I feel about the GTX 680. Even I have not found any user with single GTX 680 connected with single monitor facing this problem. The Vram memory stays at its best and normal position with no useless usage of the memory. More over to this I have also noticed that people playing at 1080p does play more smoothly no matter they play with single screen or triple screen. 1080p set up has always done great with all the games. Check out with these settings you will definitely do great.

Right now I am running quad-sli GTX 690 and with BattleField 3 my Vram always remains at normal state it never exceeds 1800mb.