Thread: Target Frame Rate vs Adaptive Vsync

Target Frame Rate vs Adaptive Vsync

Recently I have installed Precision X in my computer system just to tune up my EVGA graphic card. Precision X is no doubt the best software but there are certain confusions going around in my mind regarding certain options. The most disturbing options are Target Frame Rate and Adaptive Vsync. My friend says that both do their respective jobs differently but I never found much difference between them. Mostly they do the same work in the software (I feel so). Is there anyone using Precision X knows the exactly difference in the working and the functioning of Target Frame Rate and Adaptive Vsync?

Re: Target Frame Rate vs Adaptive Vsync

Hopefully I can at least help you out with the Target Frame Rate as I am well aware of this option but Adaptive Vsync even I am not much clear.
    Anyways explaining about the Target Frame Rate, once you enable the Target Frame Rate it will start adjusting the frame rate to which you have set the option. If the Frame Rate is set to 30fps and when you enable Target Frame Rate it will try to cope up to reach that Frame rate. Just to maintain the frame rate even the clock speed on the card starts automatically adjusting itself as per the requirement. The clock speed plays an important role while the FPS is set. If you increase the Target Frame Rate the clock speed of the card increases and if you decrease the Target Frame Rate the clock speed decreases.

As far as I remember about the Adaptive Vsync everything happen automatically in it. I mean it is turned on automatically as per the requirement. Anyways I am not well aware of this concept.

You were going right with Adaptive Vsync, it does enable the Vsync automatically. In fact it not just enables but also disables Vsync whenever needed. The main job of Vsync is to manage to cope up the Monitor refresh rate with the game Frame Rate. In directly it helps in removing the lags and other fluctuations in the game.

The worst thing that could happen with improper functioning of Vsync is the tearing of FPS. Yes, the FPS would tear in two parts if Vsync doesn’t manages to match the game’s FPS with the monitor’s refresh rate. More over the game can suffer from frequent shuttering.

Somewhere you can say that Vsync play the same role that Target Frame Rate does. With Adaptive Vsync the frame rate function can easily be forgetten. Turning off and on of the Vsync depends upon the matching of the Frame rate and refresh rate. You will never end up getting the above problems if the Frame rate criteria are not fulfilled. Because if ever the Vsync doesn’t matches the frame rate with the monitor refresh rate or if the frame rate is below the refresh then the Vsync will automatically be turned off by Adaptive Vsync. Once the Adaptive Vsync knows that Vsync has managed to match the frame rate with the refresh rate then it will automatically get turned on. no doubt the shuttering issue or the tearing problem will never come up due to the automatic functioning of Vsync.

There is a simple question going around in my mind. As far as I have understood with the above descriptions, both the Adaptive Vsync and Target Frame Rate almost do the same thing but what if I want to play around with 60 or 120FPS. Will I be able to get any added advantage with Adaptive Vsync over Target Frame Rate?

From past few days I was planning to use the Target Frame Rate with 60 FPS but now I feel that Adaptive Vsync will provide me the same feature and working.

Look even I am not well aware of capping the FPS at 60 but yes it is somewhat possible for you if and only if your monitor’s refresh rate is 60Hz. With Adaptive Vsync you can probably manage to match 60 FPS but I wouldn’t speak in much favor of Adaptive Vsync as I already said that I am not sure with 60FPS caps. 30 and 40 are fine which have noticed a lot with a successful result but with 60FPS I haven’t yet came across with much positive result. No doubt Target Frame Rate at least will try to maintain and stay constant to 60 FPS. 60FPS has always been easier task for Target Frame Rate whereas for Adaptive Vsync it has always been a boundary line.

Even I have lots of confusion with setting the FPS at 60. What exactly should I do, should I even enable Vsync if the Target Frame Rate is set to 60? I do not have any problem while playing a game with around 50 to 60 FPS. I generally prefer to keep the settings high while playing the game at 50 to 60 at each and every map, the temperature generally touches 70 or not more than 75 which is quite acceptable but when I play at Ultra and HBAO I get 50-60 but the temperature rises above 80 degree.

Is there any use of using Adaptive Vsync if the Target Frame Rate is already set?

I can nowhere see any requirement of using Vsync as the Frame Rate Limit is already set in your system. I would suggest you to once try both in your computer. I mean set the Frame rate limit to 60 and then also enable Vsync then note down the result. then again set the Frame Rate Limit to 60 but do not enable Vsync. I am sure you will get the same result in both the cases.

Look if everything is going well and safe with 60FPS then let things go on but if in any case you find any problem like tearing and shuttering then enable Vsync. This is what you can do.