Thread: Installing Radeon HD 6870 (sapphire)

Installing Radeon HD 6870 (sapphire)

I could have sworn I just posted a thread but it doesn't show and I basically need help with a HD 6870 that does not display when connected with an HDMI to my flat screen. The old card works fine and the desktop I have is only a week old (not that that matters) but it is a decent unit with amd 6 core and it came with a 7570 card but I was going to bump up my gpu but it does not for some reason display. Could it be the 460w psu? should it not run just plugged into the pci-e? i have one extra 6 pin at 18.5 amps but I plugged it in and nothing changed. am I underpowered or should it work atleast give me a screen to be able to troubleshoot? Sapphire has been very sparse with support...send em and email we'll get back to ya....no phone numbers to atleast talk it over...called amd from a number in the manual and the rep/agent thinks its my psu which btw says nothing of extra power hook ups...the new card does have two 6 pin females does it require two connectors plus the pci-e slot?

Re: Installing Radeon HD 6870 (sapphire)

Yep, you do require a 500W + power supply with a 2x6 pin connectors that will give the required power to the graphics card that you are installing. Radeon HD 6870 is a high end card and therefore without giving it its ample power requirement it wont boot obviously, also what do you mean by "does it requires pcie slot", ofcourse it does, I wonder in which slot you were using the previous card (7570) that you mentioned? What motherboard do you have btw?
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

My original card was a Radeon Hd 7570 2GB...but have found out since that the 460w does not have the necessary 2 6 pin connections to make the 6870 work and am sending it back to my utmost dissatisfaction...boo to HP for selling me something that is not spelled out as to what it needs to make it happen....an boo to Radeon for not making that clear to buyers...it is taking me money to find out what is and what is not to my utmost ire.

I am sending the whole shooting match back...this is unacceptable...unhappy does not begin to describe how I feel about this whole thing...I understand it is my fault for being talked into things but wtf a good system should not repeat should not have a psu that....aw the heck with it.

I wish I could show you the instruction manual..first uninstall your gfx then shut off....place your new card in slot make sure it is tight...connect your display...start....insert cd follow directions....not one time does it say make sure your psu has two repeat two 6 pin connectors and make sure you connect these before you hit the ole ON button....what a joke. Oh YOU don't have 2 pin connectors oh well jeeze you can't hook this thing up?? my bad,,,,,WTF

The MoBo is what HP in their wisdom are fobbing off on us dumb... well fill in the blanks...it is listed as a Gigabyte AS28A whatever the heck that is...it is whatever they can get at a cheap deal offshore and tell us we are getting a deal...c'mon man...it is all about the bottom line and justifying your job...quality is a word used to sell you stuff that gives you piece of mind. It use to be Japenese now they are the gold standard...heck even Korea...It goes on and on...next thing ya know it'll be some country we haven't even heard of because someone made a deal and then they will want to move here because of the money they are making selling us stuff we should be making ourselves....go figure.

I can understand your pain but the motherboard model that you have listed is not proper, I guess you will have to download a tool called either cpuz which will tell you what all components you have in your system barebone or you can simply go to Start > Run > Type 'dxdiag' then click 'yes' to the pop-up and list of devices will be shown to you, just copy paste that. Why dont you even try to upgrade to a new Power Supply anyways?
    Searching the forums can help you to find your answers more quickly

It does look like I will have to get another psu and let me ask you something, are all psu basically alike? In other words do they inter-change with each other as far as mounting in the tower? Is this a non-issue as far as how it goes or are psu's different? Looking at the ones listed on let's say Amazon they pretty much look the same as far as dimensions go and most seem to have ports rather than a wiring harness like the OEM's. For example the one I have now is at the rear top and roughly 6.5"x4"x5.5" should that be a concern? BTW thanks for your response and I use the Speccy utility that lists what is on board. My rig is a pre-build from HP the hpe h8-1300z according to them the mobo is compatible but they want me to send it back to upgrade the psu plus some more bucks as I fall into the 21 day return with no questions asked deal and they offer a 600w as the highest..they had three to chose from 300w-460w-600w..at the time I went middle of the road.At the moment I am on my notebook and will do the dxdiag thing on the desktop and post it. BTW the mobo only has one pci-e slot and that is where the 7570 is, the tower is rather large and the 6870 did fit, it is large too but that was no problem as far as that goes....

Oh, so you have bought a branded HP Pavilion hpe h8-1300z, you see there is a difference between buying a branded machine over an assembled one. Actually, you can choose what all components you can add in an assembled pc, whether it is the graphics card or the power supply or the cabinet itself, but with a branded pc you are limited for adding same kind of hardware peripherals. There are some upgradations for your branded pc but if it is done outside the terms or from some other places, then I think you will simply void the warranty. But in this comparisons, you pay a lot over this branded ones.

Yeah it wasn't a bad deal as money goes....I could have just put the thing together myself but chose this method as a ' package ' deal. There are all kinds of ways to skin the cat so to speak. I in the interim chose to just swap out psu and it solved my problem. Live and learn I reckon. ' Specially when learning is coming off the hip...one tends to learn quicker.