Thread: Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086 Video Driver downloads

Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086 Video Driver downloads

I am looking after 64 bit nvidia video driver for Centos Linux, actually I have installed CentOS as dual boot but then the screen is appearing dark and I am not able to make out anything clearly. I did not had any issues with the installation of the same but the video is just not appearing clearly is there anyone who can help me out here?? Any suggestions?

Re: Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086 Video Driver downloads

I am aware of the issue and I will like to inform you that CentOS does not have these drivers in default yum repository and you will have to add repository for getting the drivers and proceeding with the installation of the same. You can follow the below steps for installing NVIDIA drivers on CentOS.
    Update the CentOS distribution by using the below command in your console/terminal:

# su -c ‘yum update’

You will be prompted for root password so just enter the same and follow the prompts for completing the update.
    After that you will have to install RPMForge repository for downloading and installing NVIDIA display drivers. You have two choices here, I mean 64-bit and 32-bit.

For 32-bit installation use the below command:
    # wget http://packages.sw.be/rpmforge-relea...l5.rf.i386.rpm
    # su -c ‘rpm -Uvh rpmforge-release-0.5.1-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm’
    You will be again prompted for root password so just enter the same and proceed with installation.

For 64-bit installation use the below command:
    # wget http://packages.sw.be/rpmforge-relea....rf.x86_64.rpm
    # su -c ‘rpm -Uvh rpmforge-release-0.5.1-1.el5.rf.x86_64.rpm’
    You will be again prompted for root password so just enter the same and proceed with installation.

When you are done with the repository then you can install the NVIDIA display driver. for that you just have to enter the below command in terminal/console:

For 32-bit installation:
    # su -c ‘yum install dkms-nvidia-x11-drv.i386′

For 64-bit installation:
    # su -c ‘yum install dkms-nvidia-x11-drv.x86_64′

As usual you will be prompted for root password so just enter the same and follow the prompts for the installation.

Now after installing drivers reboot your machine and then you should not get dark display. You can also customize it by using NVIDIA settings application using the below command:

# su -c ‘nvidia-settings’

When you are prompted for root password then enter it, after that you will get a dialog box for customizing your display settings. So change it according to you desire and just make sure that you are saving the changes before closing the NVIDIA settings application.

If at all you get an error message saying “You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver…..” then simply reboot your machine and it will get sorted.

Just try out the same and let me know if that’s helping, if you face any issues with the above solution then feel free to ask I will surely try to help you with possible solution.

Re: Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086 Video Driver downloads

Even I need some help regarding the same actually I am trying to install Centos Linus as dual boot and I have not installed it successfully. During the installation it looks out for video driver but it is not able to find out the same and the screen is appearing dark. I could have tried out the above method if I would have installed it successfully. The installation is not letting me pass through, so I just wanted to know if there is a way by which I can install 64 bit video driver for Centos before installing Centos?? I have checked about the same and have found one mentioning that nvidia video cards are not supported by Ubuntu based Linux OS but I don’t think so. I have some of my friends using nvidia video card with CentOS. After coming across this thread I think that there should be a way out for me as well. Any help for fixing this will be appreciative.