Thread: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition making Loud noise

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition making Loud noise

I have recently switched to AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition from Intel core i3 and the problem that I am having with I, is that it makes Loud noise which is quite irritating. I did not expect it to be like that as per its specification I though it will be running quietly and smoothly but it’s not. I will like to inform you that I have not yet tried overclocking it even though it has been mentioned that it can be overclocked to certain level.

I just wanted to know if this issue is just in my case or there are other people facing the same as well, is there anything that I can try out to get rid of that noise?? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Re: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition making Loud noise

If the cpu fan is making loud noise then you should check out the temperature and see if it rising when the fan is making loud noise. If you want then you can download and install Speed Fan and test out the same. You should also check out and make sure that there are no wires which might be coming in contact with the fan blades and so. You should check out cpu fan for binding/dust/dirt problem. If the temps are running high then there is something wrong with the cpu itself and you will have to get it checked or replaced. If you don’t find any issues as such then you will have to probably change the CPU fan. Just check these things out and then let me know what you get for further help.

I think that the fans are running high because of overheating issue in your case due to which they are making loud noise to cool the same. There are possibilities that there might be something wrong with the cpu cooler as well but I will suggest you to better take out the case and inspect it.

If you think that there is an overheating issue then try applying thermal compound to the processor and see if it is making any difference in your case. You should also clean the fan out if it has got dust on it, if it still makes loud noise without any effect then you will have to change the cpu fan as suggested.

Hey guys thanks for your response but I think that there is something wrong with the cpu fan. I have taken out the case and have inspected the environment within it.The temperature is appearing to be going high, Even though the fan is running high making the irritating loud noise it is not able to cool down the processor properly. I have tried applying thermal compound to the processor but I did not notice much difference in the temperature.

I don’t know what might have went with the cpu fan suddenly as it was running fine by now without any such issues. Anyways now when I am quite sure that the cpu fan is the culprit I just wanted to know that which will be the best cpu cooler for AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition. Any suggestions?

In that case you can get the below ones, I think that they will be best for AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition:
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler –
    • It has a 92 mm PWM fan and 6 heat pipes for giving a better performance as compared to other stock coolers, its unique heatsink design has 42 fins for enhancing the performance of the heat dissipation.
    • The 92 mm fan of the Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 generates only 0.8 Sone at 2,500 rpm, the fans are said to run at necessary speed for maximum cooling capacity at the lowest noise.
    • One gets better stability with the unique mounting system via push pins, it cones with pre-applied ARCTIC MX-2 thermal compound.
    • It is compatible with Intel Socket 1366, 1156, 1155 and 775 along with AMD Socket AM3, AM2+, AM2, 939 and 754.

You can get the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm for $29 very well but if you can spend a bit more then you have a better choice and it is “COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler”. You can check out the specification of the same below.
    • Fan Size- 120mm
    • Fan Dimensions- 120 x 120 x 25mm
    • Heatsink Dimensions- 120 x 120 x 158mm
    • CPU Support- Intel: Core i7 Extreme / Core i7 / Core i5 / Core i3 / Core2 Extreme / Core2 Quad / Core2 Duo / Pentium / Celeron and AMD: Phenom II X4 / Phenom II X3 / Phenom II X2 / Phenom X4 / Phenom X3 / Athlon II X4 / Athlon II X3 / Athlon II X2 / Athlon X2 / Athlon / Sempron
    • RPM- 800 - 1800 RPM
    • Heatsink Material- Copper Base / Aluminum Fins / 8 Heat Pipes
    • I will suggest you to go with “COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler” but you can very well make your choice as per your budget.