Thread: What Referesh Rate is Good for Gaming

What Referesh Rate is Good for Gaming

I used to play video games on my computer a lot. Does refresh rate of monitor or LCD plays any role while playing video games. If so, can you give me an explanation about the same. Also what would be difference if one plays video game at 60Hz and 75Hz. Please let me know as early as possible.

Re: What Referesh Rate is Good for Gaming

What type of monitor you are using, is it a LCD monitor or CRT monitor. If you are using LCD, refresh rate would not make any huge difference in your gaming experience. But while playing video games on CRT monitor you will notice huge improvement. As far as LED is concerned the entire thing is totally different since LED which are having 120hz refresh rate are having game mode in which it simply gets switches to 60hz. For gaming purpose maximum refresh rate is recommended. Normally people used to do gaming at the refresh rate of 85hz. However minimum refresh should be use is 75hz.

Well I did not noticed any huge difference between both refresh rates on my computer. As it differ by 15hz only. However there should be very tiny difference on the screen which cannot be easily recognized by the human eye. I am expecting that image should be less blurry in 75hz refresh rate as compared to 60hz. If you are using LCD monitor barely you will find any difference between both refresh rate and it does not work in the same manner as that of CRT. In my situation the screen gets refreshes at 12ms. Also it is dependent on the color of the pixel. However you can stay with 60hz if it does not strains on your eyes.

I had heard lots of things about FPS capability of human eyes. They are saying that human eye can see up to 120FPS. I think I know why it misconception happened with people because displays are working in such manner. In my opinion there is no need to set refresh rate to 60hz or 75hz. Actually one should set the same to maximum refresh rate. While playing video games on the computer you should turn on Vsync. There are many monitor available in the market which are not able to display all things on higher resolution. You should checkout the MaxFPS line into the .ini file of the game. MaxFPS should be set as per the refresh rate.

Higher refresh rate will effect on your eyes only. It won’t making any difference in gaming experience. As far as difference is concerned between 75hz and 60hz. 75hz refresh rate would generate more number of images per second. So if you will notice flickering of the screen when images is getting changed on the screen while using 60hz. However you will not found any difference into the image quality. In simple terms images are getting generated quickly that is the only difference between both refresh rates.