Thread: Dell u2711 monitor freezes during log out with Sapphire Radeon 7970

Dell u2711 monitor freezes during log out with Sapphire Radeon 7970

I have a gaming rig with me from past five years. As I was in desperate need of a new monitor I went for a Dell u2711 suggested by my brother, even I would have went for this model as already I read about its with lots of positive features. Anyways I plugged into the gaming rig and I am using a Display port adapter for attaching into the GPU I am having i.e. Sapphire Radeon 7970 with the help of the adapter dongle which came up along with this sapphire graphic card. Not faced any serious issue with the monitor other than the log out issue. Whenever I log out the system I found that the Monitor automatically goes off without any display, the screen completely blank off and it remains the same for a long time until I do something. What exactly happens is that the screen either goes off or hangs at the time of log out. Nothing happens with the power button LED light, the light remains as it is on but it also do not respond at all no matter what happens.

No proper solution has been found by me other than unplugging the monitor completely and then plug it again to the power. I know that this is not at a solution of such issue but for now this is the only way out I have found to get the monitor in a proper working condition. Please help me out. My system has windows 7 64 bit installed into it. Is there anything to be done with the updates, I very much doubts the updates for both the system and GPU. Or could be the firmware update or something like that could solve the problem with the monitor. Is there anyone else having a Dell u2711 monitor installed to the windows 7 system and facing the same freezing issue? Please suggest something I really want to get out of this freezing issue.

Re: Dell u2711 monitor freezes during log out with Sapphire Radeon 7970

You have predicted certain things wrong, first of all there is no such firmware update for the Dell u2711 monitor. Regarding this Dell monitor I would like to say that the Display of this monitor is passive and therefore the sapphire graphic card must be able to easily able to transmit a constant signal. If this thing doesn’t happen then the monitor somehow believes that there is nothing attached to it. This is why when you log out you get a blank screen, during log out the video card fails to send the call to the Display monitor, it tries it best to resend a call. Now the dongle could be the reason for the failure. Anyways for now I can only suggest you is to check out you monitor with by connecting the Video card DVI to the monitor DVI, once you connect the video card to monitor with the DVI cable try to login and then log out and see it whether the issue persists. If still the monitor shows a blank screen then you can go for connecting the video card HDMI to the monitor HDMI and then test your monitor doing the same login and log out procedure.

And if you are still facing the problem of freezing then I thing the issue has something to do with the mini-dongle and for getting your problem fixed with regards to the mini dongle then you need to simply replace your monitor and get a new one in place of that. For this you need to contact the Technical support and then ask them for the replacement. I am sure a newly replaced monitor at least solves your problem. and if still the issue persist then no doubt this Dell u2711 monitor is not at all compatible with the mini dongle.

I have got a proper answer for this problem. First of all let me tell you that even I share almost a similar system like yours, at least I match the configurations that you have mentioned. I have a Dell u2711 monitor connect to my windows 7 64 bit and also I have a sapphire video card. After testing the Sapphire card with this Dell monitor the only thing suggested to me was to return the display port adapter. Currently now I have a DVI-D cable that is connected to the Dell monitor and the sapphire card, then this works perfectly well and fine. Not just this it also give out a maximum resolution with no freezing issue. better you too use a DVD-D cable for connecting your monitor to the graphic card and see whether the issue went of or not.

Very much similar issue in my case too but I must say that there is no dongle. I have Gigabyte 7970 board and I have used a mini diplayport to displayport cable on my board in order to establish a connection to the U2711. Other than this Dell model monitor I do have an Apple cinemaHD display and I have used a DVI-D port for establishing a connection with this new monitor. now the thing is that the freezing problem arises no matter the other monitor is attached to the system or not. Both the screen goes off when I log out of the windows. But the thing is that before I go for logging out windows if I completely unplug my Dell u2711 monitor I am able to easily perform the log out task without any problem. also if I connect my Dell monitor with if I connect it to any of the other ports like HDMI or DVI-D. the issue mainly occurs when I use a displayport on the video card with the Dell monitor. on the 7970 the displayport works simply awesome and great with the other display monitor. I mean to say that if I reverse the monitor or the connection the issue automatically went off but however I need an Apple on the DVI-D port as it is the only input.

No doubt there is something work with the Dell U2711 that is somehow causing the monitor to crash. All in all if I get any other combination of monitor things go smoothly without any problem. Anyways currently what I do is first unplug the U2711 from the video card and only then log out. And if I need to log in first I normally log in and then plug back the Dell monitor. I would definitely like to get another Dell U2711 to get it with a 2nd displayport adapter on the card but anyway I won’t purchase until and unless i will not be able to unplug those monitors every time I log out.

Everything started after I attempted to replace the DVI cable to the Displayport cable, most of the times I have noticed that the monitor won’t start at all once if the system goes into the sleep mode. I know the issue is very much different with the thing is that its existing into the same Dell U2711 monitor that you are having and also the same brand graphic card. Anyways now the case is that the monitor does start at all no matter from what condition the system has come up. everyone says to me that the problem is completely due to either the cable or the machine itself, but I personally believe that nor the cable neither the computer has anything to do with this issue also the ATI drivers couldn’t be blamed as one of the reason for the problem.

Whenever I turn on the system instead of getting a boot commands I simply get a blank screen with an error message saying “Entering the power save mode”. And if fortunately I am able to boot the system perfectly even before the windows screen appears the system stops at the DOS command and later on it turns off the monitor during this pause state which results in no start up again so therefore the problem surely could be either the graphic card or the Dell monitor. the reason for me being so sure and confident with this thing is that I have noticed from the starting onwards of this thread that all the people whoever facing this problem however have both the Dell U2711 monitor and sapphire graphic card in common.