Thread: GTX 680 SLI vs GTX 690

GTX 680 SLI vs GTX 690

I would like to share some of my experience and results with you. I hope that most people are interested to read or hear about it. I have used both 690 and 680's and I picked random number without any crashes. I have also used 690 drivers with modified inf for 680. Everything was very smooth with my 2 setup. One was with single GTX 690 and another was two GTX 680 in SLI. Also I didn’t notice any kind of micro stutter artifacts. All games running at highest settings at 2560X1600 smooth. The 3D Mark 11 points to only 800 differences on performance setting at same CPU. However I was hearing slight loud noise from 680's when fans at full speed. There are many benefits to a single dual GPU card since you don’t notice any performance issues. Nvidia has done great job on both card.

Re: GTX 680 SLI vs GTX 690

The fact is that a dual-GPU solution in this case simply has a huge advantage compared to two GTX 680 in sLI.

First there were just simply times the obvious things: consume less space than solutions DualGPU on SLI configuration. A lower temperature compared to the SLI pair, such as a lower volume during operation. Also, there is the power consumption of 55 watts less compared to the SLI combo is still quite remarkable. Even if I say that this is just a nice speech argument. No one of that kind of money for a graphics card in the hand takes care of itself first and foremost the power consumption but just want to have the brute power. For me, the GTX 690 is a very good alternative for a GTX 680 SLI configuration and you should also be seen. This is because you obviously do not appeal to masses with nVidia aware. But I think that was never the plan behind the GTX 690.

The GeForce GTX 690 video card is built around two fully engaged GK104 GPUs in SLI delivering outstanding performance. nVidia has succeeded the performance of two GTX 680's together on a video card. This new dual-GPU model is on average only a fraction slower than twin GTX 680 cards in SLI, a remarkable achievement given the limited space for cooling and power. The noise of the GTX 690 fell for a video card in this class, especially with the power and was also much lower than with twin GTX 680 graphics cards.

Everyone has realized that GTX 690 is supposed to be very close to the dual GTX 680's in SLI mode. But the all advantage is goes to the GTX 590 because they are less powerhungry as they consume very less power out from the PSU. Interesting, there are over the vexing problem of multi-GPU micro stuttering report. Because these are present on the GeForce GTX 690 barely, which is another improvement over the previous Nvidia version? So far, namely Nvidia has just attempted to address this problem by drivers, the GPU is now Kepler can do in hardware, however. More detailed information is guilty of Nvidia, the technology should be supported by all Kepler cards. On two GeForce GTX 680 cards, we cannot currently confirm the improvement, which could also be due to a slightly older driver. This should only result in further investigation clarity. On a GeForce GTX 690 and the mechanism but it works like it is consistently good. AFR (SLI) is as good as ever and is SLI Crossfire in this regard is now a huge step forward. Unlike Nvidia, AMD has taken to micro stuttering so far not much - incomprehensible! Now talking about only the necessary profiles to a multi-GPU setup.

The benchmarks have shown that a GeForce GTX 690 just like a multi-GPU system consisting of play Radeon HD 7970 and GeForce GTX 680 only at high resolutions and graphics settings until their strengths and realize their potential fully. Therefore, we have used another three displays with 1920x1080 pixels each, to achieve a resolution of 5760x1080 pixels.

It certainly does not have many players have such a setup, but it will certainly not many a GeForce GTX 690 to acquire or better. In four games, we have tested such a high resolution time and the results compared to the GeForce GTX 680 and Radeon HD 7970 and the multi-GPU systems.

We were surprised by the volume of the GeForce GTX 690, for such a "monster" turns out surprisingly low. On Windows, the card does indeed hear from a sealed enclosure does not bother though. Under load the fan is bearable, but especially during quiet scenes a little pushy. The GeForce GTX 690 has by far the best cooler to a multi-GPU card we've ever had in the lab. A single GeForce GTX 680 is not one bit quieter, the SLI combo and a Radeon HD 7970 did much louder.

With the GeForce GTX 690, Nvidia offers us a technology showcase that will enchant fans even though she will not resist the judgment of reason. As often in the ultra high-end segment, and even in this case, such a model is of little use for the common man who has no need of such graphics power, nor of such a finish for a product that will be enclosed in a PC and even less desire to spend the equivalent of a complete system, 1000 Euros for a graphics card.

Yet it is difficult to remain indifferent to the excellent service offered by the GeForce GTX 690 that offers performance very close to those of a pair of GeForce GTX 680 in SLI, with reduced pollution both noise than congestion. Exclusive to strengthen the side and justify excessive pricing, NVIDIA has worked with a design level of detail never reached before. A luxurious finish that will delight fans of beautiful things and that they would find most often on the high end.