Thread: Unbrick a Bricked Lacie Network Space 2

Unbrick a Bricked Lacie Network Space 2

As I am working on LaCie Network Space 2 and this has helped a lot to overcome my requirements, I do have come across some issues. I made some tries with commands which I thought would work but later I found I need to unbrick it by making an re install but neither it worked. I just thought activating root ssh and trying newsgroups client would help me but it was all vain. So guys , I just want some source with which I could rewrite . so I need to gzipped NAS partitions source which will help me , so can you provide with the same . the reason why I am demanding it as , I think it would match SSH-enabled NAS and with this I will be able to compare my source and check it why I am not able to unbrick my Lacie Network Space 2 . also by this process, it will not tend to unbrick again as I don’t want to waste my time for unbricking it. So thanks , I hoep you will provide some hints or source which will actually help me.

Re: Unbrick a Bricked Lacie Network Space 2

According to me, first step you need to take is create an automated Lacie NS2 reformatting bash script with this command.
    Code:
    ./reformat_ns2 /dev/sda
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

echo "Installing mbr"
    echo "--------------"
    dd if=mbr of=$1
    echo " -> DONE"

echo "Formatting HD (1/2)"
    echo "-------------------"
    fdisk $1 >/dev/null <<EOF
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    w
    EOF
    echo " -> DONE"

echo "Formatting HD (2/2)"
    fdisk $1 >/dev/null <<EOF
    n
    p

n
    l

t
    n
    l

n
    l

n
    l

n
    l

n
    l

w
    EOF
    echo " -> DONE"

echo "HD formatted!"
    echo "-------------"
    fdisk $1 <<EOF
    p
    q
    EOF

echo "Downloading partition images"
    echo "----------------------------"
    wget "http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/Networkspace2/1.0.2/sda6.gz"
    wget "http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/Networkspace2/1.0.2/sda7.gz"
    wget "http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/Networkspace2/1.0.2/sda8.gz"
    wget "http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/Networkspace2/1.0.2/sda9.gz"
    wget "http://downloads.lacie.nas-central.org/Users/Mijzelf/Networkspace2/1.0.2/sda10.gz"
    echo " -> DONE"

echo "Installing partition images"
    echo "---------------------------"
    gzip -dc sda6.gz | dd of=${1}6
    gzip -dc sda7.gz | dd of=${1}7
    gzip -dc sda8.gz | dd of=${1}8
    gzip -dc sda9.gz | dd of=${1}9
    gzip -dc sda10.gz | dd of=${1}10
    echo " -> DONE"

echo "Make swap partition"
    mkswap ${1}5
    echo " -> DONE"

echo "Format partition 2"
    echo "------------------"
    apt-get install xfsprogs
    mkfs.xfs ${1}2
    echo " -> DONE"
    so after creating automated Lacie NS2 reformatting bash script you will eb able to reformat your Lacie NS2 and make some testing, you will find this useful as many users have sorted out such issues after reformatting Lacie NS2.

Hello guys, I have some information which will be useful in unbricking your NAS. So regarding this term ‘Bricked’ indicates an apparently dead or not responding device. You are able to put your NAS in this state in many maens . basically speaking regarding the same an simplest way is putting a incorrect software on it that avoids the Operating System loading properly. So the reason behind this is because there are some flash partitions which tend to be overwritten . there can be an possibility that the flash partitions are overloaded with simple not-working images. It's significant to understand that an official firmware upgrade is packed as a tar.gz file, but it encloses of raw partitions . so the reason why your NAS will not start gain is that your webgui update page will uncompress these along with write into the flash. So replacing or making some changes in these files, there is possibility that your NAS OS wont most likely start any longer. In addition by making use of bootloader console menu to update some partition , you are able to brick your NAS. Usually people tend to write the bootloader partition with the tar.gz file itself. So just make a note of one thing that you read all the instructions carefully while upgrading your NAS firmware.

First you need to see whether your NAS is really bricked or not. So follow the below mentioned instructions for the same.

• So you need to turn on your NAS and wait about some couple of minutes
    • To detect the NAS ip , you will require to run SetupUtil.exe from the installation CD
    • Try pressing the power button If the earlier test didn't tend to work,
    • The OS has not being loaded properly if the NAS shuts-down right away,
    You need to also check if your Bootloader is reachable with telnet.
    • You don’t ned to perform this if you are having already GigaNAS: so , its bootloader appears as it does not have any embedded telnet server. So, if you do a incorrect firmware update, you have no change to unbrick your NAS but you can make use of another method such as opening the case and making use of an hardware technique.
    • After the NAS has been connected to power , the Bootloader is initiated when you press the power button. It waits for some seconds for a CTRL+C on its console, subsequently the OS is loaded. Next procedure would be to activate telnet server on the NAS default address 192.168.2.71 in some time and you will be shown with the similar console.
    • If you need to make connection to that server by making use of an hub/switch you have to connect with your PC to the NAS network.
    • Then you need to configure your PC network interface to a NAS bootloader compatible IP, such as 192.168.2.1

• At your windows command prompt enter the command "telnet 192.168.2.71 9000" and then turn-on the NAS .
    • windows command prompt will appear . press enter and wait for the connection
    • if you don’t find any clues you wait form some time or else continue to the "serial console method"
    • and message will tend to appear on screen,you then need to press CTRL+C
    • continue to the "telnet method" .

If you need to restore NAS partitions , you will require to make use of bootloader menu so that you are able to perform the same. This is done when you make use of telnet protocol and then make an connection with your NAS console. In addition you should perform some upgration of this three items which are Application image Ramdisk as well as Kernel image
    So you need to perform this steps with Dual HDD NAS
    • so make an installation of tftp server
    • you then need to download the firmware image you wish for restoring on your NAS.
    • Put into the directory where tftpd32.exe exists after you have extracted files from that firmware image as well as and then enter them without directory names.

I need to discuss some more as I have come across this issue and I was not able to create any partition when I tried unbricking it. I was not knowing much regarding this procedure , but tried with low level commands such as typing the command "fdisk / dev / sdb" after downloading mbr on the hard disk. I was making use of fdisk version and been using an advanced format disk for this procedure but I was with some warning message such as “WARNING: Data surperflues ignored in the partition table 7 “. I tried with switching denial off and after that I skipped the MBR and created the needed partition table manually by myself and I thought I was close to my solution but, lLater I was not able to create a logical partition using fdisk. So after that I created an extended partition (sda1) and then made some logical partitions and then primary partition (sda2). And it was solved finally.

I was having some question as whether it is possible to install it without dismounting the disk and perform the DLNA clients support MKV along with srt streaming? But I found some solution and it was said that I need to take the harddisk out, but on the nwsp2 I will find it difficult. thsi is because it has more than a few mediaservers such as mindlna, twonky in addition firefly also . I then made some checks in the webisyes of those servers to see if they are able to stream and all was sorted out.

You can find another option if you boot your windows machine by making use of KNOPPIX bootable cd . The feature to use it as a hard drive is in the existing version not yet incorporated, but they have developed a kernel which supports that, it is based on the most recent linux kernel 2.6.39.4 Be aware that this option as put into practice in the original firmware simply gives access to one share with name USBshare that is distinct on the nwsp2, as a result not for the total disk. just data in this USBshare will be noticeable when you are planning to hook it up as a remote usb drive. consequently of partial use. Much easier to transport data to it by making use of samba, ftp or else the NFS server. Its is a network drive. If your main function is to employ it as usb disk you better purchase a USB harddisk and there is no meaning in purchasing NAS .

There are many guys who are facing such issues and many are not able to gain remote access through ssh. So here is some information which I will provide you for the same, as well as NS2 won't request IP from route. I just thought including bigger size of partitions would make this solved , but it didn’t solved yet, according to me, it should be because of MBR . apart from this , I made some tries with open source clone system such as clonezilla and later made an image form old disk and then performed restoring of image to new disk.there was an requirement of resizing partition. I made use of open source partition editor which is GParted. So I just though t working with it will enable me to solve my issue. I put new disk on NS2, by means of browse I opened dashboard and it was showing something like only 1TB formatted , but after clicking format in dashboard my 2 TB is really working fine. Also trying with updating with custom capsule 2.2.5 will work .

So you can try with the telnet method if you need to unbrick the NAS . so as said earlier , you are able to perform by means of Dual HDD NAS . you can also unbrick it using With Giga NAS. It appears that you may try with an additional method that is by means of serial console method . but the condition is that you will require to have bootloader serial console access to use this technique. So if you need to unbrick your NAS with the GigaNAS model that don't have the telnet server on the bootloader, you can find this lone means which will tend to work.