Thread: Unable to update the latest driver 260.99 for Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M

Unable to update the latest driver 260.99 for Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M

I have a Asus G73jw laptop at my place with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M, the system is working find without any problem but the thing is that I am unable to install the later driver update for this card i.e. 260.99. I do not face any problem while downloading the driver but don’t know for what reason I am unable to install it. I have downloaded the driver from the Nvidia download page, the time I downloaded the driver I suddenly tried to install it but then I end up getting this message "Install Cannot Continue - The Graphics Driver Could Not Find Compatible Graphics Hardware”. I am not sure what exactly this error message means but all I know is that it is not allow me to install the driver. Is there anyone who have tried to download and install the driver and stopped getting this error message? Please help me out and let me know whether there is any possible solution to get this problem fixed. Thanks for any kind of solution and suggestion in advance.

Re: Unable to update the latest driver 260.99 for Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M

I have the same model of 8GB version and guess what? I am also having the same problem of unable to install the latest driver for my graphic card. I am facing this problem from past one month and until now I have done quite a lot of research regarding this problem and found that this driver is as simple as ASUS releasing their drivers for this mentioned laptop. All the video drivers for their laptops and systems need to be however downloaded from their own website and nowhere else, the reason for downloading the driver from their website is that those drivers are written by Asus programmers as after Nvidia released their specified version for this model and for other series of the laptops. Generally if you see all the drivers are supposed to be downloaded from the original manufacturer’s website and not from anywhere else for a proper and successful installation.

Even I am in search of downloading this latest driver because I found that my frame rates has for some reason dropped off on almost all the games that I play and also all my videos are now being played too choppy. So therefore I believe that updating the graphic card driver might somehow solve the issue, In fact I am sure that this would definitely solve the issue as in most of such cases I have seen that driver has always been the main culprit for the same. However until now I have tried out multiple versions of drivers from several other sites and then I also tried out the Asus latest driver update

My system is G73 XA1 8gb ddr3 with nvidia 460m the same card of yours. It’s a brand new system which I bought two days ago, loved it all the way but there are certain things that I do not understand or you can say that those things are having some issue in my system. I have been noticing that my screen resolution some becomes dim or disappears, I mean to say that it sometimes doesn’t go over 1960x1080, however it erased the settings and then went on to max 1280x1024. Now the issue has been increased, my screen distorts and stretches widely. Fist I doubted my graphic adapter, then I pointed out my OS i.e. windows 7, I thought that windows 7 might have some problem with it. Then don’t know what came to my mind I simply believed that maybe I need to get nvidia’s new latest driver, I thought it might be causing the problem so therefore getting this driver may somehow solve the issue. And then here came up another issue, I was also unable to install the driver. Whenever I tried to install the driver I ended up getting the exact same error message that you have stated above. Whenever I go to control panel and from there to Device Manager > Display, it showed me Standard VGA adapter. Just wanted to confirm whether it is right, I doubt it a lot. However I have tried out installing the old drivers manually to the VGA adapter but as usual it said that it is not compatible. The only thing now I would like to say is that please help me out friends, I am desperate need of your help. Need some serious suggestions.

I too had the same problem with my ASUS G73JW Laptop, my laptop is running windows XP and even I tried to install Nvidia GTX 460M drivers. While trying to install the driver I too got the same error “NVIDIA Installer cannot continue this graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware”. Now listen carefully I might help you the best way possible, so please if you need to get your problem fixed carefully check out my post. First of I would like to let you all know the proper reason for this error being occurred during the driver installation. You encounter that error because of your graphic card’s specific device ID is not being shown up in any of the INF setup files.

The only solution to get rid of this error is to manually add the device ID to the INF file so that it would show up whenever you will try the setup programs checking for the compatible hardware. Now the solution which I will let you know will probably work in any of the windows OS system, better try it out at least once if you really do care for your issue and seriously wanted to get rid of it.

1. First of all you need to get your device ID and for getting the device ID you need to go to Control panel, after that Click on System and then Click on Device manager
    2. Now Under Other Devices click on Video Adapter or if the video card you are already has a driver under Display Adapter click on Video Adapter. Now Click on Details and then go to Device
    3. Instance ID, I think if I am not mistaken Device Instance ID should already be selected, but anyways there’s no problem if its not selected. You can do it by yourself.
    4. now after that You will see something similar to this: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DD1&SUBSYS_20421043&REV_A1\ 4&30DE1B. it is nothing but the details about your very own video card maker, chipset and the model.
    5. Now if you have not done it until now then there is problem you can simply download the latest nvidia driver manually for your graphic card and then run the installation, make sure that you download the driver from nvidia website. Event this time you will end up getting the same error message “This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware”, you need not have to worry.
    6. Now you need to Go to the install directory, you would then find the default which will be something like: c:\nvidia\DisplayDriver\275.50\WinXP\ English\Display.Driver\
    7. You will find number of INF files, they will be I guess very much similar to this type: nvaa.inf, nvac.inf, nvam.inf, nvao.inf, nvbl.inf and so on
    8. What you have to do now is just pick up one of them as in my case I picked up nvam.inf and then got the backup copy. Then I opened the original one in the notepad or any of the text editor that you prefer
    9. Now you need to scroll down until and unless you find lines like: [NVIDIA_Devices.NTx86.5.1] %NVIDIA_DEV.0405.01% = Section001, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0405&SUBSYS_15D21043………..
    10. Those files are I think listed by the four digit HEXdecimal number that is actually appeared after DEV. Anyways now make sure to scroll down until you find a section that would be much similar to your chipset DEV number. After that you need to make a Device ID for your Video Adapter as already been discussed and then insert it
    11. Now after creating the Device ID you need to scroll down to the String section, the String section might look like something like this: [Strings] DiskID1 = "NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP (32 bit) Driver Library Installation Disk 1"………..
    12. Now save the file. After saving if you have a file called ListDevices.txt, simply open it and then under that appropriate section just add on a line
    13. Now make sure to go back and then try to run the setup.exe manually from where the nvidia files are extracted. Note that you don’t run the application that has been downloaded, if you do so you might end up overwriting everything that you have edited just now which would again make you to follow and do all the things from the scratch. Anyways once you run the setup.exe everything is done, your driver is installed and working. I am sure this trick will help you out and will run for any of the system facing this kind of similar problem with the driver installation.

You won’t believe that I wasn’t able to install the driver from past 1 year into my system and due to which I use to face so many problems. I use to keep on search for some appropriate solution but always end up getting some faulty solution. I kept on frequently doing to update when games like Brink use to not work in my computer. Always a new game use to come up and they asked me for the driver update, and as usual I failed doing so which restricted me to play those games too. Recently last week I sat on web for some 1 hour in search of some similar thread or problem believing that there might be some who must be facing the same problem and guess what? In one of the thread I did fond the exact same solution that has been suggested above. The steps were quite interpreted and were in much understandable manner so therefore I simply tried it and thank god! I got the issue solved. The driver was installed. It really works, don’t miss it if you are really willing to get the problem solved.

My laptop is Alienware laptop M17x but the graphic card installed into it is the same one which is being discussed over here, its Nvidia GeForce 460M. I have recently trying to do the same thing which you people are doing i.e. upgrading the graphic drivers but however i am not a special one, even I am suppose the get the same error message and facing the same issue. I too got the same common error message that has been mentioned over here. Not sure where I read but it was written somewhere that uninstalling some things including the graphic card and then reinstalling them might solve the issue and fix everything properly. Well then as suggested to me I uninstalled everything and when I tried to reinstall them I found that my graphic card is not being listed in the Device Manager which was quite strange. I searched everything and everywhere but nowhere had I found anything about the graphic card. The only thing I could see is intel HD Graphics Family so therefore I can’t even now fix up the issue as my graphic card is not be able to show up. So therefore I could only find the ID to properly install the drivers. I just wanted to confirm whether there is anyone who is facing the same issue. is there not any way to find the missing Device ID in order to reinstall the driver and then fix the issue.