Thread: AMD GCN 2.0 to be better than AMD Radeon HD 7970

AMD GCN 2.0 to be better than AMD Radeon HD 7970

AMD is promising to bring world’s fastest GPU by name ‘Tenerife’. It boasts of having architecture of Graphics Core Next 2.0 and memory will be of 3 GB that too in DDR5 format. It will have HDMI ports along with two small DPs. It can support up to six display units. What do other people think about this, will it replace the current most powerful graphic card, which is AMD Radeon HD 7970? It also says that it will be 1.2 times faster than AMD Radeon HD 7970.

Re: AMD GCN 2.0 to be better than AMD Radeon HD 7970

Just imagine the price it will have when launched. When the price will be declared, people will come back to buy AMD Radeon HD 7970. Also I don’t see any practical use of such high specifications in a graphic card. I mean there is no game that requires such a high amount of processing. Even if the 3D artists and video editors need it, then it will only be limited till certain crowd. I think if AMD releases such a graphic card in current time, it won’t find many buyers. Also with such high level of hardware, high level of cooling will be needed. This will again add extra cost to your computer. This graphic card might need a single 240 mm cooling fan just to keep it cool. But one thing is sure if this graphic card releases, AMD will lead at very good length away from Nvidia in their competition for advancements in graphic card. Regarding cooling of this graphic card and power supply, I think AMD will also need to develop a custom cooling system and PSU for this graphic card. I don’t think any PSU is developed to efficiently supply power to this graphic card. AMD should bring out a complete set which will include graphic card, cooler for it and also a PSU.